Rhode Island Red?

HillCountryMomma

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Anyone want to take a crack at guessing what this rooster might be? I had thought that he was a mistake in my batch of Rhode Island Red pullets. But now I'm not so sure! He is a massive rooster. I have a real slow connection didn't want to hassle with posting pictures so here is a link to my blog with his picture:

http://stephensfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/

I'd love to know what y'all think of him!

Liz

Thanks! I wasn't sure if RIRs got as big as this guy. He is so stout, and kinda waddles/struts around. I had another RIR rooster (Mr. Evil, whose pictures are also on my blog as we butchered him!) about the same age that was no where near as big. Maybe Big Red just got the 'grow' genes. He's my flock sire right now, and I'm debating crossing him on some Freedom Ranger hens (assuming that any of the batch I got turn out to be pullets), then perhaps crossing their offspring back on Rangers. Or maybe I'll save a FR rooster and cross him on some of my black australorp hens. Ah heck, I dunno! It's all a rather long term plan... and assumes that we don't eat all the Rangers! But since the Freedom Ranger company has gone out of business I'm a little more inspired to try and save a few to breed for backyard broilers.

Back
Top Bottom