Rhode Island Reds and White Plymouth Rock - 11 Weeks old

Usually, the males are sporting a bigger, brighter comb by this age and occasionally you can see rooster feathers emerging already. Did you order males?
No I ordered pullets. This is my first time raising chicks. One of my chicks has pretty green tailfeathers and is slightly darker around hackles but comb is still small. The others are more the brown feathers (a few darker tailfeathers on a couple but not as much as this one) and all the combs and wattles are small like this one (or smaller). This is the one that looks the most different from the others. They are all the same age and same chick batch. And none of them look like they have legs bigger than any others either.
IMG_4669.JPG

No I ordered pullets. This is my first time raising chicks. One of my chicks has pretty green tailfeathers and is slightly darker around hackles but comb is still small. The others are more the brown feathers (a few darker tailfeathers on a couple but not as much as this one) and all the combs and wattles are small like this one (or smaller). This is the one that looks the most different from the others. They are all the same age and same chick batch. And none of them look like they have legs bigger than any others either.View attachment 1484040
The difference in appearance that you're noticing has to do with variability in hatchery stock, not gender.

The difference in appearance that you're noticing has to do with variability in hatchery stock, not gender.
Ok so this one is a pullet? I can't have roos in my neighborhood (I need at least 2 acres in city limits to do so) so I need to know if I am going to have to start looking for a new home for it.

Ok so this one is a pullet? I can't have roos in my neighborhood (I need at least 2 acres in city limits to do so) so I need to know if I am going to have to start looking for a new home for it.
There's nothing pointing to rooster. I wouldn't say pullet with 100% certainty at this young age but there is no reason to suspect this one.

Back
Top Bottom