Rhode Island Reds

madmantrapper

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Maryland
Do any of you folks have trouble with the RIR's getting along with other breeds? I've heard that they don't get along with others especially smaller leghorns.

My one RIR adolescent (4 months old?) is bossy to the other chickens her age, but they all get along. She's particularly fond of the BR, and they drink, eat, wander, and dust bathe together. All six of the youngsters sleep together in a big feathered pile in one nestbox.

Yah mine are real sweet. I just introduced some younger Barred Rock pullets and they beat them up for a few days to just show em who's the boss, now they seem to be just fine.

I have 3 rir in with some BRs, EE, SLW. They all get along. The RIR do not like some other chicks I have that are about a month younger than they are. The others in thier group get along with them but not the RIR. The RIR also seem the bossiest in thier group.

I've had them twice now, and both times they were really sweet. My RIRs seem to be at the top of the pecking order since no one picks on them, but they do not do any picking either. Unfortunately for me, I'm finding my new Black Australorps to be the real jerks in the chicken run. They even peck me (hard) when I pet the other chickens. The 2 BAs are the only ones that are aggressive toward me at all; my RIRs and Dominiques will squat as soon as I step near them, and allow me to pet them and pick them up. And the EEs are just spastic. They run and scream as soon as I bend over like I'm going to pet them.

I have 5 rir hens, 1 rir rooster, 2 EEs and 1 SLW and my rirs get along great with the oher breeds but 1 of my EEs is bossy and grabs hold of the other hens when they get too close to her.

Back
Top Bottom