Rhode Island White Thread

Pics
Cmom

Have you come across any other RC Rhode Island White breeders? Can't remember if I sent you the excel file of those I have. Really want to get a good data base set up for the breed. I have my first set of eggs in the incubator...mostly RC Reds and few RC Whites, Columbian Wyandottes and Welsummers.

I have come across a couple of people one who has been breeding for awhile and another fellow that has just started breeding about a year ago. I don't recall the names off hand but will see if I can find them. I believe you did send me the excel file but would you mind sending it again? No eggs in the incubator yet. I just recently started getting my breeding pens set up and who I wanted in which one. I still have to set up my RC RIW pens. I recently did my RC and SC RIR pens.

Please do find them and send me there info. We really need to get people knowing who has what.

Good luck in setting up your pens. I think once I have all my reds hatched out I am going to do a RIRxRIW for sex-link layers.

Please do find them and send me there info. We really need to get people knowing who has what.

Good luck in setting up your pens. I think once I have all my reds hatched out I am going to do a RIRxRIW for sex-link layers.

I do have some SC RIW females that I breed with a pure SC RIR male. They are Sex-Links. The females are a little darker in color because I'm using one of my pure RIR males and they are great layers. I thought I had a picture of them but guess not. I'll take one tomorrow.

DH with his helpers.

If I get it done I will only hatch out enough for a layer flock of 15-25 females. Two years ago I put a Barnevelder male on a few of my Columbian Wyandotte females and got some really nice layers to sell. This last year a Welsummer on the CW's and again nice layers and they even have fairly dark eggs. I really am not into crossing breeds but I wanted to check out some sex-linking on different breeds. I am not on my F2 birds in my Welbar line. If you do not know about them they are an Auto-Sexed breed out of England. My joy in chickens is mainly keeping my breeds true. But I really wanted to build a breed for first hand knowledge in genetics.

If I get it done I will only hatch out enough for a layer flock of 15-25 females. Two years ago I put a Barnevelder male on a few of my Columbian Wyandotte females and got some really nice layers to sell. This last year a Welsummer on the CW's and again nice layers and they even have fairly dark eggs. I really am not into crossing breeds but I wanted to check out some sex-linking on different breeds. I am not on my F2 birds in my Welbar line. If you do not know about them they are an Auto-Sexed breed out of England. My joy in chickens is mainly keeping my breeds true. But I really wanted to build a breed for first hand knowledge in genetics.

I have some Sex-Link males and some RC RIW males going to freezer camp. They aren't there yet but going soon. That will open up another coop and pen but it is my grow-out coop and has no nest boxes. I have some nest boxes I could put in it. I have some of my Reese RIR males in another coop with nest boxes. I hope to sell them to people who want to breed. I don't have any pullets left to sell as I did sell some trios and quads when I was picking out the ones to keep for my own breedings but I still have some excess males. I kept the males I wanted for my breeding pens but that still leave more even after selling some trios and quads. One of the males I sold to a young girl recently got a juniors champion at the Lake City, Florida Show. I got a champion with his brother and a sister at the Inverness, Florida show. I do have fun showing both my RC Whites and my RC and SC Reds. I do like to experiment with some Sex-Link breedings but haven't done as much as I would like due to my coops. I have two coops for my general population egg birds for my egg sales. I do want to combine them into one of the larger coops but the larger coops are duplexes and I have separate pens for each half of the coop and they currently have my RC RIW's in one half of one of the coops with my older Reese SC RIR's in the other half. In my other large coop which is also divided. I have in one half some of my general population (in which I keep a backup rooster or cockerel with hens or pullets I'm not using in my breeding programs), and the other half of that coop has my other family of my Reese SC RIR's. Over the years I have built up quite a nice customer base for my eggs.

Here is a picture of one of the duplex coops. This is when I was using one side of the coop for a grow-out coop. These were RSL pullets I had hatched out with some of my Reese SC RIR pullets. This picture was taken a couple of years ago. The RSL pullets and the RIR 's I wasn't using in my breeding program were moved to one of the general population coops and pens but the breeder RIR hens are still in that coop.

Back
Top Bottom