Rhode Island White Thread

Pics
I don't have RIW's but I'm popping in here because I'm annoyed and wanted to sound off to people who will understand.
I'm having an argument with a man on Facebook who has a flock of 20 single combed white hens he got from Ideal Hatchery that are supposed to be Rhode Island Whites.
I told him hatchery birds aren't the real thing. The real ones are very rare and have rose combs and are bigger.
He doesn't believe they are rare. He doesn't believe they are supposed to have rose combs. He fully believes he has the real thing.
Ugh. That's like the people who think easter eggers are Ameraucanas.
I have a few Single Comb RIW's I use for my RSL breeding program and some Rose Comb RIW's which are accepted by the American Poultry Association that I show at poultry shows. I have posted quite a few pictures on this thread. You can copy one of the pictures to show.

I have a few Single Comb RIW's I use for my RSL breeding program and some Rose Comb RIW's which are accepted by the American Poultry Association that I show at poultry shows. I have posted quite a few pictures on this thread. You can copy one of the pictures to show.

But you know what you're doing! I run into so many people who think they know about something when they know very little. Another annoyance is people who run around on the internet spreading wrong information because they fancy themselves experts when they don't know what the heck they're talking about.

As my preacher once told me..."no one wins when your in a pissing contest with a skunk." I have found that those who want to argue have very little breeding experience and knowledge or they have only book learning info. Talk to some of the breeders who have been in it for 20-40 years then you will get good knowledge.

As my preacher once told me..."no one wins when your in a pissing contest with a skunk." I have found that those who want to argue have very little breeding experience and knowledge or they have only book learning info. Talk to some of the breeders who have been in it for 20-40 years then you will get good knowledge.
thumbsup.gif

Cmom

Have you come across any other RC Rhode Island White breeders? Can't remember if I sent you the excel file of those I have. Really want to get a good data base set up for the breed. I have my first set of eggs in the incubator...mostly RC Reds and few RC Whites, Columbian Wyandottes and Welsummers.

I have some rose comb Rhode Island whites coming from Sandhill Preservation in May. Will be for sure breeding them. Hope to learn everything I need to know bout breeding. I am in West Virginia.

My RC RIW's originally came from a person who had gotten them from Sand Hill preservation. I sent them emails and called them and left messages some years ago and never heard back. I asked if they knew of a line they might be from since they say they are preserving what I assume are old lines. They never answered me back by either a return phone call or email.

Back
Top Bottom