Rhode Island White thread :)

kurka

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
Do You have Rhode Island Whites? I bought 2 pullets this year, and i love them!
big_smile.png
One started laying 2 weeks ago, and eggs are getting bigger and bigger [today 70g = 2,5oz ], lovely light brown colour. Hens are rather big, with nice smooth white feathers, red single comb. Not too gentle but very calm, and easy-going. Mine are from polish line Rhode Island White A-33, its mother s line used to make a layers cross. There are 4 lines of that breed saved in Poland in national animal resources. Work on that lines started here in 70', so they are proffesional leyers lines. I wish to know how your look, behave and lay
smile.png

Quote:
They're not Rhode Island Whites. Rhode Island Whites are rose combed only. There is no single combed variety.

Quote:
They're not Rhode Island Whites. Rhode Island Whites are rose combed only. There is no single combed variety.

thumbsup.gif
They are hatchery
RIW:
63711_ri-white-chickns.jpg

NOT MY BIRD

63711_rcriwf2.jpg

63711_rcriwf.jpg

63711_rcriwm.jpg

NOT MY BIRDS
First offered to the public in 1903, RI Whites were admitted to the APA Standard in 1922. They carry the blood of Partridge Cochins, White Wyandottes and Rose Comb White Leghorns. The Whites should have the same distinctive horizontal oblong body carriage as the RI Reds. These fowl occur in both single and rose comb varieties.

This is a dual purpose breed with yellow skin and brown eggs.

source:FEATHERSITE
ETA: only the rose comb RI whites were admitted in the APA​

Last edited:
Here are some of my single combed HATCHERY "RIWS" similar to the ones the OP is referring to.

( 5 month old pullets with a black sexlink rooster)
37373_100_5674.jpg

37373_100_5675.jpg

But like NYREDS said, they are not true RIWs as their breed standard only calls for ROSE Combs. The true RIWs are ones like the ones pictured in punky rooster's post. And neither of the two are the same breed as Rhode Island REDS, who CAN come in both single and rose comb.

The Rhode Island White is a breed of chicken originating in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. Despite their very similar names and shared place of origin, the Rhode Island White is a distinct breed from the Rhode Island Red. However, Rhode Island Reds and Whites can be bred together to create Red Sex Link hybrid chickens, such as the ISA Brown.

Rhode Island Whites arose from the work of J. Alonzo Jocoy of Peacedale, Rhode Island, which began in 1888. Developed through crosses of Partridge Cochins, White Wyandottes, and the rose comb type of White Leghorn, it was solidified as a breed by 1903. It was first accepted in to the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection in 1922. Moderately popular up until the 1960's, it is now a relatively rare fowl. It is listed on the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy as a breed to watch, with less than 3,000 birds known to have existed circa 2003. Like most standard breeds, it also appears in a bantam variety

Rhode Island Whites are a dual-purpose fowl suitable for both meat and egg production. Males weigh 8.5 pounds (3.9 kilos) and hens weigh 6.5 pounds (3 kilos). They have a single variety, with pure white plumage, red wattles and earlobes, and a medium size rose comb

From Wikipedia​

Last edited:
Here is my question on this...

If hatcheries are selling single-combed Rhode Island Whites, then who is to say that they are not selling you White Plymouth Rocks instead?

Back
Top Bottom