Rhodebar losing feathers, skin irritation

I'm so sorry. Do you think that she was hurt or maybe severely dehydrated? Some neurological diseases come to mind. Botulism, from eating a toxin in dead animals or rotted vegetation, mold toxin from mold in feed, or Mareks disease can cause similar symptoms. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks? Will she swallow some water held to her beak with a spoon or dropper, just a drop at a time so not to choke her? If she dies, I would refrigerate her body in a plastic bag, in case you want to send herin to your state vet for a necropsy. Please let us know how she does, and I hope she gets better.

I got her eating and drinking! And standing upright, at least. I made her a scrambled egg and will try and keep a close eye on her.

fl.gif

Well, the little one passed away last night. She stopped eating and drinking again and it was all just too much for her. Thank you all for your advice and concern. The good news is that the rest of the flock is happy and healthy! One foot in front of the other on this learning path.

Did you save her body for a necropsy or want information on where to send her? If so, refrigerate, but don't freeze the body, and let me know where you are located. It would be good to know what killed her, but it is understandable if you don't want her autopsied.

Thank you, but this first time around I just buried the girl for the benefit of a couple sensitive family members :) I think this bird was just unhealthy from the beginning--although I didn't know it at the time we got the birds, this particular one always had very choppy-looking feathers and was smaller than the rest.

If we have additional problems with the current flock, I will take you up on that info! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom