Ribh's D'Coopage

I was checking one of our water lily tubs this morning & discovered several of these floating on the surface.

After a little investigation I'm pretty sure they are striped marsh frog eggs.
I am super excited.
I have been hearing 5 or 6 calling @ night. They have a distinctive *toc. Toc.*
Despite the cane toads we are seeking to eradicate we have a pretty healthy environment it seems.

This is a species that does well in backyard ponds so yay us! :lol:

20200930_094927.jpg

I have a broody ~ again. 🙄
I've already collected Alpia's egg for today so there was no need to for her to be in a nesting box but there she was with one of Luna's dirty great eggs tucked under her left wing. You can see how her body is distorted in her effort to cover it.

20200930_095018 (2).jpg

She practically upended herself when I went to remove it in her effort to keep it nice & toasty.
20200930_095048 (2).jpg

I managed to retrieve it in the end & this is the thanks I got: A long whinge about what a meanie I am! :lau

I was checking one of our water lily tubs this morning & discovered several of these floating on the surface.

I am super excited.
Despite the cane toads we are seeking to eradicate we have a pretty healthy environment it seems.

View attachment 2353715
Exciting!!

I have a broody ~ again. 🙄
I've already collected Alpia's egg for today so there was no need to for her to be in a nesting box but there she was with one of Luna's dirty great eggs tucked under her left wing. You can see how her body is distorted in her effort to cover it.

View attachment 2353724
She practically upended herself when I went to remove it in her effort to keep it nice & toasty.
View attachment 2353728

I managed to retrieve it in the end & this is the thanks I got: A long whinge about what a meanie I am! :lau

Awwww 🥰

Yes ~ though I wasn't expecting anyone to grow such big ones. Morrigu's are quite impressive too. I wonder if it's because they are more feral all round than most of the others.
I wonder as well. I'm going to think on this and maybe research a little. 🤔

Soda laid really late yesterday & I forgot to pick up her egg before I went inside but, hey, I thought, I'll just grab it when I go to tuck the girls in for the night. I go to count the girls & there are 12 on the top roost & Beatha all alone on the 2nd. I shine my phone round frantically because I know I counted 14 @ dinner time! And there's Alpia in the corner box flat as a pancake & spread all over Soda's largish egg. 🙄 She's terribly sweet but mad as a hatter & definitely prone to going broody with no encouragement whatsoever. *sigh*
Broody days Down Under. 🤣

I am super excited.

View attachment 2353715
That's way cool...💞

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom