Ribh's D'Coopage

This is Cillin. Something strange is going on with Tribe 1. For the last few nights the rest of the tribe, apart from the moulters have gone to roost without him. Cillin hangs around below the sheep field bank, not far from my house and waits until the last minute to go to roost. It all looks reasonably normal during the day, apart from the moulters straying from the tribe to find what it is they seem to crave when moulting.
Major used to do something like this whenn he was alive. It's something I have only ever seen the most senior overall roosters do. I don't know what it means.
Moon was still out, she hadn't gone to roost and was under the blackthorn bush outside my house. I shepherded Cillin round to my house and after a drink they headed up to roost together. There was nothing I saw that made me think Cillin was waitng for Moon though.
PA210109.jpg
PA210110.jpg
PA210111.jpg

Here they are outside my house about to head for their coop.
PA210116.jpg

This is Cillin. Something strange is going on with Tribe 1. For the last few nights the rest of the tribe, apart from the moulters have gone to roost without him. Cillin hangs around below the sheep field bank, not far from my house and waits until the last minute to go to roost. It all looks reasonably normal during the day, apart from the moulters straying from the tribe to find what it is they seem to crave when moulting.
Major used to do something like this whenn he was alive. It's something I have only ever seen the most senior overall roosters do. I don't know what it means.
Moon was still out, she hadn't gone to roost and was under the blackthorn bush outside my house. I shepherded Cillin round to my house and after a drink they headed up to roost together. There was nothing I saw that made me think Cillin was waitng for Moon though.
View attachment 2381914View attachment 2381915View attachment 2381916

View attachment 2381930
Moon is so pretty! 🥰 I don't know Shad. The more I watch chickens the less I understand. Their society is far more complicated than most realise & they have a large range of vocalisations plus pecks that mean different things ~ almost none of which I understand. :(

Last edited:
View attachment 2381914View attachment 2381915View attachment 2381916

View attachment 2381930
It seems like she was waiting for him go take her back.

Moon is so pretty! 🥰 I don't know Shad. The more I watch chickens the less I understand. Their society is far more complicated that most realise & they have a large range of vocalisations plus pecks that mean different things ~ almost none of which I understand. :(
I'm with you Ribh. All i can offer is guesswork.

It seems like she was waiting for him go take her back.
That's possible but I would in that case expect her to call him and she didn't. Moon is moulting and trying to avoid the others. This afternoon I found Moon and Fudge, both moulting atm, wandering around together foraging while the rest of the tribe were under the bush near the bread oven. Moulting seems to elicit some strange behaviour here and from what I've read, others see similar.:confused:
Moon is quite capable of shouting the house down if she wants a roosters attention.

That's possible but I would in that case expect her to call him and she didn't. Moon is moulting and trying to avoid the others. This afternoon I found Moon and Fudge, both moulting atm, wandering around together foraging while the rest of the tribe were under the bush near the bread oven. Moulting seems to elicit some strange behaviour here and from what I've read, others see similar.:confused:
Moon is quite capable of shouting the house down if she wants a roosters attention.
All my moulters forage more than usual. I haven't figured out what they eat. It looks like dirt to me. :(

All my moulters forage more than usual. I haven't figured out what they eat. It looks like dirt to me. :(
Peggy's moulting and it's put her off her food which is a big problem because she's not getting enough of her special enzymes. She's very still and thoughtful instead of bubbly and active.

Peggy's moulting and it's put her off her food which is a big problem because she's not getting enough of her special enzymes. She's very still and thoughtful instead of bubbly and active.
Yes, Lavender is moulting too. She's feather picking again so time for some extra protein in her diet.

Back
Top Bottom