Ribh's D'Coopage

This is true. I have had one cat that is just irreplaceable. He was an alpha male & I was totally his person. He was so protective of me the man said he feared for his life. :lau Sudden blood clot & we couldn't save him. It was devastating. I am always astounded by the trust animals give us. My present boys were dumped in the trash before they were even weaned. I have never understood it. They have wonderful personalities & are very, very loving.
I had a GSD like that, my dad was afraid to discipline me, not that I ever did anything that I needed to be disciplined for...😇

I've been pretty depressed after the loss of especially a couple of my pets...didn't think I would ever want another one! Right now we don't have any dogs or cats and we don't have any plans to get anymore, but sometimes I would love to have a new pup and kitten...sometimes! :)

I lost her a while back. She just suddenly went down hill. I had to lift her out of the coop in the morning. Went inside for some vitamins & she was gone when I got back to her. :idunno Not really a surprise & I didn't say anything because it is such a downer when someone loses a bird. She was one of my older girls [though not ancient by any means] with a nasty personality so the flock as a whole was more relieved than anything else. Mhari was different. :(
I can understand your reasoning and yes it does bring people down. Who said we have to be happy all the time. It irritates me tbh.
I think it can help with the grief and maybe more importantly, others may learn from your experiences. There's a lot of judgement I find about losing chickens. Then one day something happens to those who judge so easily and it isn't all black and white anymore.
I've had a lot die here. I've had people tell me how irresponsible I am for free ranging like I do and even that I shouldn't be allowed to keep chickens. Then a fox or, something breaks into their run and wipes out their flock.
Don't worry about bring me down and I'm pretty sure the others would say the same.

I had a GSD like that, my dad was afraid to discipline me, not that I ever did anything that I needed to be disciplined for...😇

I've been pretty depressed after the loss of especially a couple of my pets...didn't think I would ever want another one! Right now we don't have any dogs or cats and we don't have any plans to get anymore, but sometimes I would love to have a new pup and kitten...sometimes! :)
I've always kept cats. They are great companions & not so demanding as dogs. The man used to be a dog person but I don't have the right sort of personality for dealing with dogs ~ & I've always been the one to deal with the animals~ so cats it is! :D

I've always kept cats. They are great companions & not so demanding as dogs. The man used to be a dog person but I don't have the right sort of personality for dealing with dogs ~ & I've always been the one to deal with the animals~ so cats it is! :D
I love training dogs, it's so much fun...admittedly some are better than others! I love cats too and have always had one until now...I feel they can be more demanding...especially early in the morning...when they think you should be up, because they are...so they sit outside your door and sing to you the song of their people and/or bang on the door...:gig

I can understand your reasoning and yes it does bring people down. Who said we have to be happy all the time. It irritates me tbh.
I think it can help with the grief and maybe more importantly, others may learn from your experiences. There's a lot of judgement I find about losing chickens. Then one day something happens to those who judge so easily and it isn't all black and white anymore.
I've had a lot die here. I've had people tell me how irresponsible I am for free ranging like I do and even that I shouldn't be allowed to keep chickens. Then a fox or, something breaks into their run and wipes out their flock.
Don't worry about bring me down and I'm pretty sure the others would say the same.
Very well stated Shad and I agree wholeheartedly with this!

Thanks, Shad. I think a few people were having difficulties @ the time, though perhaps not chicken related, & it just seemed to me it was a grief better kept to myself.

What you might find interesting is that Suyin's sister, Luna, who has always been a very calm, laid back girl became very skittish around me for the first few days after Suyin's death. It was like she was blaming me & thought I had something to do with her sister's disappearance ~ well I guess I did. :lol: She's since had quite a personality change becoming very assertive & loud, even flying up @ the gate when I go to let them out. She has always buddied up with the BRs & @ night the bantams but even so seems to be really missing her sister. She also seems to have asserted her position in the pecking order, almost as if she's taken on some of her sister's less desirable characteristics.

I love training dogs, it's so much fun...admittedly some are better than others! I love cats too and have always had one until now...I feel they can be more demanding...especially early in the morning...when they think you should be up, because they are...so they sit outside your door and sing to you the song of their people and/or bang on the door...:gig
Ah, well, I don't find training dogs fun. And their puppy & teen stages drive me wild! :lol: An old dog sleeping by the hearth I can cope with. :gigAnd my cats tend to sleep with me so I get the wet nose job if they think I am being sluggish about rising but as I'm early these days it's not generally an issue.

I'm sorry, Bob. :hugsI only get that sort of behaviour when the girls first arrive but I will point out, the rest of us commenting are female. I have no idea why that would make a difference but I suspect it might.
I'm not having that! I have to do the chicken shuffle! I've trod on a few toes as well.
Just to be clear. I'm not female.:p:lol:

Back
Top Bottom