Ribh's D'Coopage

Well. I am grumpy this evening - brutal week at work.
I typed the above entry and thought grumpily "time they produced an egg"... ... ... Then I grumpily bundled up to go out to close the Princesses up for the night and set the mouse-traps and cameras ... ... ... ... And I grumpily stomped through the rain ... .... .... ... And I grumpily picked my way through the mud to get to the Chicken Palace ... ... ... ... ... And I grumpily checked the egg boxes ... ... ..... And ... ... ... ...
View attachment 2437130View attachment 2437131

NOT GRUMPY ANYMORE!!!
My first teeny tiny blue gift from one of the Little Princesses.
Awww, that must have made your day.:love

They would be eating bugs if they were with their mama!
But only the ones mum says are okay. Many times I've offered chicks food and mum comes along and scratches it out of my hand, kicks it around in the dirt and marches the chicks off elsewhere.
I think mums take some pride in being the ones to feed their young and tell them what is and what ins't good to eat.

Yep. They just seem so terribly fragile.
I dare say some people will howl in protest at this, but you shouldn't handle young chicks. You can let them walk onto an outstreched palm if they wil, but that's about it. I don't handle the chicks here unless it's absolutley necessary.

For clarity, two cups of pellets with two pinches of cheese. So that's half a pinch per hen per dinner. For a treat, one strand of grated cheese.
That seems more sensible. I would try and stick with cottage cheese. I had in mind a larger quantity of treat cheese.

I dare say some people will howl in protest at this, but you shouldn't handle young chicks. You can let them walk onto an outstreched palm if they wil, but that's about it. I don't handle the chicks here unless it's absolutley necessary.
Funny, I didn't know that, but when the two Little Princesses were tiny chicks I just put my hand in their brooder and let them explore me. They were quite interested in my hand and having their little feet all over my arm was a lovely feeling.

There are other treats for bribery.....a bit of white fish for example.:oops:
Ok, to be clear because I am totally clueless for this size & age, I can give pretty much anything I would give my big girls ~ just in smaller amounts? I don't give many treats but I do use them with newbies so they know I bring good things their way.

That is usual here.
As very tiny chicks just hatched, no fear of me at all.
A few days older and mum has taught them that bucket boy isn't chicken.
As teenagers more confident and friendly but a bit of a handfull at times.
When the hens start laying the do not like contact.
After about a year from watching the elders in the tribe put up with me they decide what I am and am not good for.
By three years old they're used to me and will put up with most things I do; apart from Donk who won't have any of it.
After three years old a lot depends on the chickens personality. Most just accept I'm some kind of oddball that has a place in the tribe.
The older they get in general the more friendly they become. They watch how the others react to you. They know that you'll help them when they are in trouble or sick/injured. I'm pretty sure I get points for looking after the sick. They seem to know.
That is really helpful to know what's normal @ different stages. This is a learning curve for me. I've never had any desire to do chicks so was rather taken back to find my *young pullets* were definitely on the young side. :gig

Back
Top Bottom