Ribh's D'Coopage

Speaking of culling... I am so angry right now. I mentioned over on Bob’s thread that another Farmer here believes he has Mareks and was going to cull his entire flock of over 100 birds. Including not even 1 year old birds. Also because he has some egg eaters, and ones that refuse to roost in his nasty, uncleared coop, it’s so much easier and cheaper to just cull them all and start again. He’s also dumping the heads and bodies randomly all over the island. Some heads were found on the government dock. 12 bodies and heads were dumped near the drinking water reservoir (on the way to near our property). Just not ok, at all!

I will cull for kindness in the case of terminal and painful illnesses; or for our eating, or gender reasons (again also for eating). But really, how disgusting to dump the bodies on public property.
Wow Kris, that is just wrong! Seems like what he's doing with the bodies should be against the law. That's awful.

Speaking of culling... I am so angry right now. I mentioned over on Bob’s thread that another Farmer here believes he has Mareks and was going to cull his entire flock of over 100 birds. Including not even 1 year old birds. Also because he has some egg eaters, and ones that refuse to roost in his nasty, uncleared coop, it’s so much easier and cheaper to just cull them all and start again. He’s also dumping the heads and bodies randomly all over the island. Some heads were found on the government dock. 12 bodies and heads were dumped near the drinking water reservoir (on the way to near our property). Just not ok, at all!

I will cull for kindness in the case of terminal and painful illnesses; or for our eating, or gender reasons (again also for eating). But really, how disgusting to dump the bodies on public property.
Surely that's illegal. Especially if the bodies are suspected to be diseased. Is there an RSPCA or animal welfare body up where you are Kris?
There should be consequences! Consequences I say! :old

Good evening everyone 😊

This loopy lots favourite perching spot.
I have no idea why.
There is nothing to look @.​
View attachment 2537444

As I am looking @ several of my birds aging out I am bewildered by some keepers decision to cull older, non~laying birds.

I know. I know. Every flock is different & some people need the eggs & can't afford freeloaders but I can't afford to not have my older girls. They mightn't be contributing eggs but they contribute so much else that is needful & helpful: wisdom, knowledge, leadership. My oldest girls have done about 4/5 integrations & I attribute the ease of my last integration to their knowledge that it wasn't anything to get fussed about. They set the tone for the rest of the flock & as I have good stable leaders why would I want to cull them for young, untried birds? Hmmm...​

But, mom there is so much to look at.......you just can't see what we see

Happy Caturday. Davis has had quite a visit with Eve. Here he is in a moment of peace. He is laying on my puzzle. 🙄
20210219_201207.jpg

Well...I texted the lady with the Vorwerks yesterday as the man was getting antsy thinking he wasn't going to get his birds.🤣 Plenty of Vorwerks but no Aracaunas. I know they are difficult to breed so I can't say I'm too surprised. She has a couple of Japs & a Belgian, which I'm interested in, so she is holding them till next week for us. I'm thinking 3 Vorwerks as I need some more standard layers if some of the Big Girls are about to stop laying. That should be it for a while unless my Campine breeder suddenly comes good.:lau
Those Vorwerks are so pretty too. ❤️

This loopy lots favourite perching spot.
I have no idea why.
There is nothing to look @.​
View attachment 2537444

As I am looking @ several of my birds aging out I am bewildered by some keepers decision to cull older, non~laying birds.

I know. I know. Every flock is different & some people need the eggs & can't afford freeloaders but I can't afford to not have my older girls. They mightn't be contributing eggs but they contribute so much else that is needful & helpful: wisdom, knowledge, leadership. My oldest girls have done about 4/5 integrations & I attribute the ease of my last integration to their knowledge that it wasn't anything to get fussed about. They set the tone for the rest of the flock & as I have good stable leaders why would I want to cull them for young, untried birds? Hmmm...​
I am the same. My girls are laying but the day will come when they won’t and that won’t change how much I love them. They are my Feather-Babies. 🥰

Is that even legal? What a jerk!

Back
Top Bottom