Ribh's D'Coopage

Desk jobs are tough day gigs. But beyond managing that and staying fit, @Ribh your comment made me remember something life-changing for me -- discovering I was low thyroid due to a random TSH test my doctor did, and then me researching, matching symptoms and convincing my doctor to let me try a tiny bit of medication. Because what is "normal" is clinically different for everybody, and the test ranges doctors go by have changed over the years. Well, what a night and day experience that was! Being warmer at rest was one of many, many, many improvements.
Thank you for appreciating that desk work can be hard work :love It's the constant list of things to do that simply doesn't ever get down to zero. Never. Never. Not ever. And the deadlines mean I'm always chasing some task or other while my weekend slips by unnoticed and unacknowledged by anyone but me and those who care about me.

Then recently I was judged for it by an acquaintance who does physical work and doesn't understand that sitting and tapping out work on the keyboard or reading the 600th email that week counts as work. I said '"I bust a gut to get stuff done" and she said "you don't bust a gut" :( it was unkind and unthinking of her.

Thank you for appreciating that desk work can be hard work :love It's the constant list of things to do that simply doesn't ever get down to zero. Never. Never. Not ever. And the deadlines mean I'm always chasing some task or other while my weekend slips by unnoticed and unacknowledged by anyone but me and those who care about me.

Then recently I was judged for it by an acquaintance who does physical work and doesn't understand that sitting and tapping out work on the keyboard or reading the 600th email that week counts as work. I said '"I bust a gut to get stuff done" and she said "you don't bust a gut" :( it was unkind and unthinking of her.
I really don’t like it when people look down on other people’s professions. My mum was deliberately unkind about a guy I really liked who drove coaches for a living.

I really don’t like it when people look down on other people’s professions. My mum was deliberately unkind about a guy I really liked who drove coaches for a living.
Yeh. Like the economic imperative tolerates jobs that don't achieve anything. Literally every job is keeping us all going in one way or another. Whether it's decision-making all day long or driving the garbage truck. It ALL counts.

Yeh. Like the economic imperative tolerates jobs that don't achieve anything. Literally every job is keeping us all going in one way or another. Whether it's decision-making all day long or driving the garbage truck. It ALL counts.

Like Dr Phil once said (about a menial job) “It’s good, honest work.” Would she have preferred he was a drug dealer?! No-one should be ashamed about their employment.

The man's GPs arrived for a visit when I was in the middle of my degree & certainly didn't think wading through Paradise Lost was any sort of work. I hated Paradise Lost & it was excruciating & difficult & very hard work. Mental exercise can leave you as physically exhausted as running a marathon ~ oh, & 1 hours preaching is as physically demanding as 3 hours of hard labour. 😲 I appreciate the physically able amongst us but don't knock the other if you've never done it.

Good evening folks :frow

I too spend my time behind a computer. I also work full time from home. Some days I'm wading through financial data looking for trends and issues, while other days I'm creating workflows on SharePoint to automate routine tasks. I also design new reports to present data in a more concise manner. In between all of that, I buy training for our 900 person team, order temporary workers as needed and purchase all subcontract labor for the team. At the end of the day, I'm way more tired than I was working at the factory 12 hours a day doing physical labor.

Back
Top Bottom