Ribh's D'Coopage

Is she drinking? If she can drink she likely has a tongue, and it will also help clean he mouth out a bit so you can see better.
The tongue is very vascular (at least it is in mammals) so a cut of the tongue would likely bleed a fair bit. Maybe she found something nasty and sharp and tried eating it?
I am hoping this is the truth rather than the more drastic loss of tongue. That would be tragic.

Geez. Even the grass can kill you!
SHRA. Tax.

C0DBE389-AAA8-416F-A2E8-F3D1AF367918.jpeg

I swear I do not know how I ever raised 5 kids. I had the grandies for 2 days & 2 nights & while their dad arrived last night to help out & take them away this morning I feel like I need a year's rest! 🙄

In the middle of the mayhem GS yelled out that Beatha had a bloody beak. We all know blood is never good ~ especially when we're talking chickens. I had noticed her earlier with her head tucked under her wing & both my head hen & her 2nd standing watch over her but had thought nothing of it. My flock is in a constant state of flux.

View attachment 2775644

I grabbed her & brought her inside. She had a mouthful of blood & was gurgling away & I was absolutely horrified. I've never seen or read about anything like this. She seems OK this morning & is eating & drinking. I will check her mouth before I release her with the girls but my best bet is she managed to cut her mouth or tongue somehow on something she found. No idea what. Traumatising - that's been what my last 24 hours have been.

Thanks, MJ. She seems ok & is back out with the girls competing for treats. She may need a vet visit just to be sure but we will see how she's doing today.

Thanks Lozzy. It really was because I had the kiddies ~ 2 & 4 ~ & while they are heaps better behaved than they were they couldn't be left while I investigated a chook so it was basically have a quick look & shove her in a cage overnight. She seems ok but I'm wondering if she's lost her whole tongue...? 🤔 I can't see it but that doesn't mean much...

🙄 I know, @BY Bob...but I can't see it. 😲 I need to have a better look I think & see if I can see what's going on, only it's icky & Beatha isn't being co~operative [can't say I blame her] & I think we've all had enough trauma for the time being.

We have a native grass whose common name is *sword grass*. While the cuts are fine it can cut to the bone.

She was eating & drinking this morning ~ which is why she got let out. Thank you RC, I knew someone would understand the biology & put me straight. :hugs
I actually read ahead! I hope that she heals quickly and didn't lose any of her tongue! Poor girl! I also hope that things slow down for you! :hugs :hugs

I actually read ahead! I hope that she heals quickly and didn't lose any of her tongue! Poor girl! I also hope that things slow down for you! :hugs :hugs
We've had a rough trot recently. Normally I only get the kiddies 2 days a week & not on top of each other but every so often there's a hiccup in those arrangements.

Back
Top Bottom