Ribh's D'Coopage

A newly arrived Titania.
She was so tiny!
20201204_170034.jpg

Now she is a big grown up hen who lays little tan eggs, Olivia has taken to squatting for me.
She is such a funny little thing.
Not all my hens squat. Not all of them squat all the time. Some squat then shake the Bucket Girl germs of as fast as they can. Some squat & move on. Some, like Ha'penny, squat some days but not others. If I'm too slow she gets up & moves on. Some like Luna, squat & shake all over, until she gets her pat. Olivia does none of these things.
She squats & waits patiently for me to give her her rub & seems to practically go into a trance. She will often still be squatting 5 or more minutes later while I am busy doing other things, her tail high, her eyes glazed.
I know this is mating behaviour. I know this is submissive behaviour. I know squatting can be a defense position but the trancing has me befuddled. What on earth goes on in this little girl's head?​
20210808_160029.jpg

Good evening everyone😊😴

CHOOK of the WEEK.
Titania.
View attachment 2789264
Titania is one of my newer girls. She arrived with Olivia, Portia, Ceres, Desdemona & our 1st lot of Vorwerks @ the end of last year. I think she is absolutely gorgeous.

According to her breeder Titania is a Frizzle/Aracuna bantam X. Bear in mind Frizzle is a breed out here, not just a feather type. I was really hopeful she'd carry the blue gene marker & I would have another blue layer but she doesn't. She lays wee cream coloured eggs like a frizzle & is showing signs of going broody. My summer could be a nightmare.

Also, our Aracaunas aren't rumpless though all the frizzling makes it hard to tell if the poor girl has a beard or muffs or anything else going on in there.

She is not quite as friendly as Olivia but she isn't unfriendly either & that makes her fairly easy to handle. She is one of my feistier bantams & holds her own really well against all the bigger girls.

Frizzles, surprisingly, are a really, really old chicken breed 1st being mentioned some time in the 1600s & Charles Darwin called them Caffie Fowl & said they were predominanately found in India but the frizzling gene seems to have arisen even further east ~ possibly in China.

All the frizzles I've had have had calm, easy going temperaments & got along well with other breeds ~ which I wasn't expecting as there are warnings all over the internet that these odd looking birds are often the target of bullying by more dominant breeds. I haven't found that ~ but then I started with Lavender who was easily twice the size of anyone else & could give even Soda a run for her money in the weight department!​
Another pretty and I love reading about them and learning about the different breeds 💗.

Back
Top Bottom