Ribh's D'Coopage

Because kids don't get intellectual ownership. 🤣 Perhaps I remember being taught it because I thought if it was in a book that was available to anyone the ideas were fair game...😬 I was lucky in paraphrasing always came easily to me but others were in quite a bit of trouble. I would expect by university level it would be second nature not to nick someone else's ideas as your own though. The internet has created a huge grey area in these areas though ...:(
Original thought is everything. Why are you doing this if not to learn and develop your own thoughts with justifications?

Chicken tax
20170401_145447.jpg

I've been there. When I studied animal behavioral science online (chicken focus) it was very difficult at first but I did figure it out and reached a rhythm that worked. I did have issues a couple of times with questions like you did but I was studying at a school in the UK so it was not exactly the same language. At least that was my excuse. 🤷‍♂️
When I have the notes in my hand & am matching them up with the questions I would expect to get most of my answers correct ~ & I wasn't. :confused: I have the T~shirt that says Does Not Play Well With Others so hopefully @ least some of this will never be an issue for me.

Original thought is everything. Why are you doing this if not to learn and develop your own thoughts with justifications?

Chicken tax
View attachment 2966329
I think many of the younger people go to uni because they can't find work. If so, a desire to learn may not in their hearts.

I think many of the younger people go to uni because they can't find work. If so, a desire to learn may not in their hearts.
To pay all of that money and not take advantage of the learning. How sad. I could not believe I had the opportunity to learn like that. I wish I could have stayed longer and learned more.

Chicken tax
48B45BS02C485_03_14_2017 8_41_36AM_1489495296542.jpg

To pay all of that money and not take advantage of the learning. How sad. I could not believe I had the opportunity to learn like that. I wish I could have stayed longer and learned more.

Chicken tax
View attachment 2966385
Well, the nation covers most of the cost for all Australian citizens (what 'most' means varies from discipline to discipline, according to which knowledge workers Australia is falling short of).

Students chip in their part, either before they start (for a discount) or at some future date once they're earning plenty of money (it gets added on to someone's tax obligation).

But they never pay full cost and only a few of them pay upfront and get the discount.

I think if students were obliged to pay upfront we would see much fewer enrolments, and poor kids would be under-represented in unis and ultimately in the professions, widening the economic divide.

And consequently, we'd see higher youth unemployment figures which is not great when election time rolls around.

Also, the way it's set up at present, we do have lots of young folks who might not have matured enough to join a workplace joining uni instead, which is probably a good thing for their personal development. Although a PITA for their mature aged peers and their lecturers.

All this was laid out in the Bradley Review of Australia's tertiary education sector, which is starting to get a bit long in the tooth now. The review recommended lots more but governments didn't follow through on all of it.

None of this applies to students who are not Australian citizens. They pay in full with no support from the nation.

That was a really long way of saying that for most Australian uni students, cost doesn't factor in.

Well, the nation covers most of the cost for all Australian citizens (what 'most' means varies from discipline to discipline, according to which knowledge workers Australia is falling short of).

Students chip in their part, either before they start (for a discount) or at some future date once they're earning plenty of money (it gets added on to someone's tax obligation).

But they never pay full cost and only a few of them pay upfront and get the discount.

I think if students were obliged to pay upfront we would see much fewer enrolments, and poor kids would be under-represented in unis and ultimately in the professions, widening the economic divide.

And consequently, we'd see higher youth unemployment figures which is not great when election time rolls around.

Also, the way it's set up at present, we do have lots of young folks who might not have matured enough to join a workplace joining uni instead, which is probably a good thing for their personal development. Although a PITA for their mature aged peers and their lecturers.

All this was laid out in the Bradley Review of Australia's tertiary education sector, which is starting to get a bit long in the tooth now. The review recommended lots more but governments didn't follow through on all of it.

None of this applies to students who are not Australian citizens. They pay in full with no support from the nation.

That was a really long way of saying that for most Australian uni students, cost doesn't factor in.
This is true. I'm likely to be dead long before I can repay the costs of my education. I could easily become a career student.:lau It will help fend of dementia & relieve pressure on our aged care system. 😝

This is true. I'm likely to be dead long before I can repay the costs of my education. I could easily become a career student.:lau It will help fend of dementia & relieve pressure on our aged care system. 😝
That's the other good thing! Older students get it cheaper through never meeting the threshold for paying it back. Rightly so after someone's contributions to society throughout their lifetime.

Mind you, we used to pick up the full cost for everyone. Today's approach to funding is not as supportive of students as it used to be.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom