Ribh's D'Coopage

I let the girls out a couple of mornings ago, checking, as I always do, that everyone is out & headed for the food & water. Everything seemed good. It was only later I noticed one of my Vorwerks was down. Both eyes were glued shut, her face was swollen & gunk was streaming from her mouth & nostrils. Respiratory stuff is not something I've had to deal with before but I have dosed her up with antibiotics & vitamins, an anti-inflammatory & some cream for her poor little face. She seems heaps more comfortable & her nose has stopped running but I am not overly hopeful. The tips of her comb are turning black & she's stopped eating. She's not drinking on her own either but I have been syringing water into her.
View attachment 3413422
This side is coming good. Most of the swelling has gone down.
Thankfully no~one else is sick! 😟

View attachment 3413425
Poor girl. You’re doing a good job with her. I wonder if you’ll have to squeeze pus out of the other eye.

Ribh, I lost Lucky yesterday, too. She would have been six at the end of March. I drained ascites off her on November 24th. She made a remarkable comeback, but the ascites returned in January. I drained her again, but she did not bounce back as well as the first time. I think it was likely cancer. She was a wonderful hen and I will miss her.
B4B13408-F632-42A4-B69B-5BF4B20FB231.jpeg

0BEBA86F-F224-4695-8FA5-4945D90A7FA3.jpeg

207B3ED1-66A2-453B-A607-7B37823E2A6D.jpeg

Last edited:
That has been my thought too. I have a Campine, a Favorelle X, an Aracauna & Jap bantams & Wyandottes who all seem to be doing really well. I don't think the Vorwerks are a hardy breed. I've had trouble with all of the ones I've had & the one left gets the wobbles every now & then. Not a breed I will ever have again!
It may just be that breeder and not the breed itself.

Back
Top Bottom