Ribh's D'Coopage

My wife and I were discussing this on our car ride to Philadelphia today. The holidays are just not what I wish they were any longer. I'm not sure what happened but they have become frantic instead of contemplative. I'm don't knowwhen it happened or why but I don't enjoy them like I used to.
Folks seem to like rushing for no particular reason. Are people addicted to adrenalin in general? Or are they simply emulating each other? It's like being busy all the time is the same as winning a trophy or something.

I used to rush around too, but once I realised what I was doing I made a choice to go slower whenever I could. I wrapped up a big project on Wednesday and went immediately on Summer holidays until February (!!!) - the point is, I found it really easy to go from frantic, long work days to slooooow and delightful.

That is probably more accurate, Shad. I was just quoting the usual breed description. I find my broodies funny but because I can't let them sit I'm concerned for their health. I was away for a week last summer & my man was looking after the girls. A broody went AWOL on him & we lost her in a broody trance so I really do want to discourage them unless they can have fertile eggs under them.

I love that my Campines are so feisty. If they're not I know they're not real well. From choice they prefer not to be handled, so from choice I would rather have them running screaming from me because I know they are fit & healthy.
That's a really good point about being about to see when the Campines are unwell.

I'm not convinced one breed is more human friendly than another. I think some are less fearful.
A bantam hen here called Blue Spot used to launch herself in full battle order whenever I tried to change her water while she was sitting. On her second sit she turned that down to just a lot of swearing unless I accidentally disturbed her. When the chicks arrived she was quite happy if the chicks walked over my hand but if she even thought I was going to pick one up she got ready to do battle. I got some interesting dinks and dents in my hands helping her to get her chicks into the coop for the first few nights.
By the time she got to be elderly and sick she finally accepted that I would take her off the roost at night and bring her into the house to tube feed her and massage her crop.
I preferred the swearing, ready to fight, don't touch me Blue Spot of old.:(
I'll always let a hen defend her nest with good humour. After all, it's just a minor blood loss.:p:lol:
I agree. Everyone says Australorps love people, but I know this is not how Mary feels. I put it down to her being handled roughly by the man who bred her. I saw the way he pulled her out of the crate and shoved her into the cardboard box when I picked her up. I should have intervened and done it myself, but I was in his garden and it felt rude. Anyway, in that moment I knew she was going to have a happier home with me and I couldn't wait get let her away from that place, out of that box and settled in to her new life.

edit: I'm trying to say I think there are many factors in addition to breed that determine a chicken's behaviour towards people.

Last edited:
@Ribh It's here!!! Thank you so much!! I've just started to read again, I find it's easier to do books then my phone, so it will be used often. I can also say I have never received a Christmas card with a Kangaroo on it. That will be a keeper for sure.

View attachment 1980829

Rich decided to also give me an early Christmas present. He said he saw this and knew I had to have it!!

View attachment 1980830

It has chooks on it!!! I was so excited when I saw it. He even got the matching wallet to go with it. This is extra special because we don't exchange gifts with each other, it's all for the kids. He said he knew it would cheer me up and boy did it ever!!
awwww such beautiful gifts!! I was very lucky and also received one of ribh's wonderful bookmarks in the post recently :) my card has a kookaburra on it!

I love the image of the truck full of giant flowers! And it's a very practical gift too, which is always nice.

While i was away today we had a massive storm.
My Frizzle has lost her frizzle.
Apparently no~one took shelter in the coop.​

View attachment 1980655
Suyin is pretty damp around the edges too.​
View attachment 1980656

It's cooled off but thank goodness it's not freezing.​
Uh oh... lots of damp chookies there! They look very cute though :D

Folks seem to like rushing for no particular reason. Are people addicted to adrenalin in general? Or are they simply emulating each other? It's like being busy all the time is the same as winning a trophy or something.

I used to rush around too, but once I realised what I was doing I made a choice to go slower whenever I could. I wrapped up a big project on Wednesday and went immediately on Summer holidays until February (!!!) - the point is, I found it really easy to go from frantic, long work days to slooooow and delightful.

I'm so glad that you can do that. It is important to get away. I once worked 2.5 years without taking any significant time off. I never realized until my wife pointed it out to me and demanded I take a vacation.

That will never happen now. I have worked hard to balance my life better. The flock is a huge part of that balance.

Back
Top Bottom