Ribh's D'Coopage

It's because everyone has animals and farms/work to do during the day. ;)
😆 wouldn’t know anything about that! :p I still encourage everyone to play with their chainsaws during daylight hours whenever possible. It’s why I try to leave some time not fully dedicated to farm chores and animals and all that other fun stuff... I also found it hilarious that between poor husband and FIL getting my call that the rest of our road was clear and them getting through the fir another decent sized cedar tree came down across the road about halfway between tree one and the trailer. Just when you think it’s safe to put the chainsaw away... (cue some ominous music)

Who needs friends when one has chickens!:D
The more I watch them the more civilized they seem to be.

And the nice thing about chickens are they lead to chicken friends... which IMHO are the best friends a person can have, other than cows and cats.

Good morning folks :frow Pig get's to live another day. Pot's been heating up since 10:00 this morning and still isn't ready. I'll keep it on overnight and try again in the morning.

This is the #1 reason we don’t do pigs. They would fit in well with the terrain of the farm I’m sure, but processing them yourself is a lot of work and infrastructure... especially the scalding. Takes a really big pot! I wonder if you could skin them instead? No tasty crackle but...

Good evening folks :frow

This is the #1 reason we don’t do pigs. They would fit in well with the terrain of the farm I’m sure, but processing them yourself is a lot of work and infrastructure... especially the scalding. Takes a really big pot! I wonder if you could skin them instead? No tasty crackle but...
I skinned the last one I processed. Had a horrible time keeping the fat with the pig and not the skin. I'm hoping my 40 gallon pot will get the job done.

I was outside being nibbled to death by mozzies last night attempting to catch my girls' roosting antics for posterity (and you lovely people). In the process I was able to get a couple of really nice portraits which I'd like to share.

Pepper showing herself to good advantageView attachment 2010418

Alice looking at the camera
View attachment 2010422

Now I'm off to try and get a nice shot of Tsuki especially for ByBob

They are beautiful. Great shots!

And the nice thing about chickens are they lead to chicken friends... which IMHO are the best friends a person can have, other than cows and cats.

I can only say I wholeheartedly agree. My dear chicken friends and cats (along with my wife have pulled me through the last few days. Thanks to all!

20200118_170945.jpg
20200126_102707.jpg

Good evening folks :frow

I skinned the last one I processed. Had a horrible time keeping the fat with the pig and not the skin. I'm hoping my 40 gallon pot will get the job done.

Oil drums I believe are the DIY scalder of choice. I wouldn’t think a 40 gallon would be big enough, unless you quarter it first, but then you would be exposing some of the meat to the scalding water... let me know how it works out. Are you hoisting it with a tractor?

@Ribh sorry for all the meat talk... if you would like we can move that over to my thread or a conversation instead. Not trying to be disrespectful or gross anyone out... it’s just the chatty life conversations we’ve all gotten so absorbed by here.

😆 wouldn’t know anything about that! :p
I didn't think you would.:p:rolleyes:
You are right but this is an exceptional set of circumstances. It's not wise to work alone so that's two people. One more minimum to drive the bobcat. And then of course if you get the same team out each time everyone learns to work as a group and stuff gets done quickly and safely. Also, the exceptional circumstances apply to each individual who had land and animals so everyone had more to do than on the average day.
Course, you wouldn't know anything about that either.:rolleyes::p:D

Don't know why I bothered to respond really given what I've read about your current situation.:D😘

Back
Top Bottom