Ribh's D'Coopage

Pics
March, and Andrew... if you don’t have a Canadian clone yet, I volunteer! Granted we read usually more young adult/urban fantasy than children’s lit... just the classics when it comes to that.

“The three chickenteers... all for chooks, and chooks for all” hey, everyone needs a motto, right?

March, and Andrew... if you don’t have a Canadian clone yet, I volunteer! Granted we read usually more young adult/urban fantasy than children’s lit... just the classics when it comes to that.

“The three chickenteers... all for chooks, and chooks for all” hey, everyone needs a motto, right?
You might be surprised. YA stuff was my specialty when I worked in the library. I still read a fair bit of it.

So either you have just had a birthday or you are due one. We should throw a virtual party... probably the only sort I'm good @ partying at. :)

All for chooks & chooks for all!

So we are having the hottest March on record & spent it on the mainland. DH had a tooth removed & we ordered our timber for the chook pen. Marine ply: weatherproof, waterproof, hardy ~ & it will be easy for DH & I to manhandle. Special order so who knows when it will actually arrive. It is coming from somewhere else to our nearest depot, then the carrier must arrange to pick it up.

There are 2 yellowbox slabs left over. DH was just going to burn them but I said: Woah ~ I would like a narrow raised bed for fly & mozzie repellent herbs in front of the coop & there's the passionfruit vine we want to grow over it &...so I have 2 huge slabs for garden beds even though I know nothing really deters a saltwater mozzie.
All for chooks & chooks for all!

Now my timber is ordered I am starting to obsess about the extra chooks I can acquire.

My first ladies I was set on getting *easy* hens ~ if only because DH wasn't mad keen & I wasn't mad keen on chasing flighty birds up & down our rugged hill or hosing them out of trees or constantly apologising to our neighbours for the havoc they wrecked; fencing is not possible. It's a matter of managing the girls so the next coop will be fully enclosed & the new girls will be much more restricted.

Eggs are good but I seriously adore having pretty birds & so Campines & Wyandottes are high on my list...If I do pairs that's another 4 birds I can have ....

These are the breeds my breeder has: http://www.beautifulchickens.net/breeds.php

I know I don't want ISAs or RIRs but I'm thinking Araucanas for their blue eggs, she may have green layers & she has Sussex... I am going to run out of numbers before I run out of choices.

To complicate matters YD wants to come & choose herself another chook [or 2 or 3...]to add to my flock. :gig

I would have an even greater choice if I was prepared to buy elsewhere but I keep chooks & finding a breeder with immaculate pens, no nasty smells & super healthy heritage breeds is enough to convince me to stick with what I know is a great deal. Soooo.....Anyone got a special love amongst these choices?

I LOVE it:celebrate

06577CC1-BCC2-41E7-98C3-17BAE1901F02.jpeg
99D59671-B477-4478-8145-2445C1E03E53.jpeg
9E84C4DB-4328-4223-AD40-1EF1565D2409.jpeg
Now my timber is ordered I am starting to obsess about the extra chooks I can acquire.

My first ladies I was set on getting *easy* hens ~ if only because DH wasn't mad keen & I wasn't mad keen on chasing flighty birds up & down our rugged hill or hosing them out of trees or constantly apologising to our neighbours for the havoc they wrecked; fencing is not possible. It's a matter of managing the girls so the next coop will be fully enclosed & the new girls will be much more restricted.

Eggs are good but I seriously adore having pretty birds & so Campines & Wyandottes are high on my list...If I do pairs that's another 4 birds I can have ....

These are the breeds my breeder has: http://www.beautifulchickens.net/breeds.php

I know I don't want ISAs or RIRs but I'm thinking Araucanas for their blue eggs, she may have green layers & she has Sussex... I am going to run out of numbers before I run out of choices.

To complicate matters YD wants to come & choose herself another chook [or 2 or 3...]to add to my flock. :gig

I would have an even greater choice if I was prepared to buy elsewhere but I keep chooks & finding a breeder with immaculate pens, no nasty smells & super healthy heritage breeds is enough to convince me to stick with what I know is a great deal. Soooo.....Anyone got a special love amongst these choices?
I am not crazy about my Wyandotte.. she is a bully.. which I’ve heard often.. and has been my most flighty.. but you never know.. she will come and sit next to me but no touchy.. I LOVE my RIR! My fave is my Barnevelder :love... sorry.. pics of pics...

Are the Wyandotte bantams though? I do think the Wyandotte and Campine are very pretty... I think I’d also be interested in the crosses though, the Favorelles and “farmyard crosses”, she might have some interesting hybrids with green egg genetics (I’m a little obsessed with egg color right now) it’s so hard to pick just a few! 12 is a pretty decent limit for numbers though... many places in my area the limit is 3-5, no Roos unless you’re zoned agricultural.

Are the Wyandotte bantams though? I do think the Wyandotte and Campine are very pretty... I think I’d also be interested in the crosses though, the Favorelles and “farmyard crosses”, she might have some interesting hybrids with green egg genetics (I’m a little obsessed with egg color right now) it’s so hard to pick just a few! 12 is a pretty decent limit for numbers though... many places in my area the limit is 3-5, no Roos unless you’re zoned agricultural.

Our flock numbers are determined by block size. Back in the day we bought 2 blocks. The eastern one was cut in 1/2 when Hubby's parent's moved in next door & wanted to put a pool in [yes, I regret those lost feet now :) ] but we still have 3/4 of an acre so we get to keep more chooks but no roo as we are still zoned urban, not agricultural. Three chooks wouldn't be enough for our needs so I count my blessings.

Yes, her wyandottes are bantams but we have so many dodgy backyard sellers I'm really loath to bring those into my flock. I know this sellers birds are superb & really healthy. I'm trying to keep an open mind. I'd love a coloured egg basket too. *sigh* I will have my chook obsessed youngest with me so that could be interesting... :D

E9AE8C25-8D1A-42AF-9961-8328943BE819.jpeg
F90425B2-AC03-4653-A91B-D2B0245432AD.jpeg
Mine is not bantam.. and yes, I love the different egg colors!

Back
Top Bottom