Ribh's D'Coopage

I finally got out to the girls with some warm oats. Everyone is sodden. The coop is sodden. Even the sandpit is waterlogged. They aren't used to this! And the temperature has plummeted to 22C.​

20200118_070923.jpg

I really can't say and it makes me a little sad. Big hole in my Chicken knowledge I guess.
Mine as well. I know a bit about the breeds here, a bit about a few of the more unusual breeds, but apart from that, not only don't I know, I'm not really interested.
There are some traits that can be attributed to a particular breed but behavior which is what I'm most interested in, I believe is determined largely by treatment and conditions.

Overnight storms saw 131.8 mm of rain here! We are all really excited. :D

Well, the girls aren't. Most of them are still in bed. :lol:
The cloud means it is still quite dark out & very, very wet!​

View attachment 2004719
It still looks lovely Ribh, wet or not.

Your building regulations are tight then Ribh?

Yes. They have eased up a bit but when we built we couldn't have a composting toilet, grey water, solar...all things that have become more mainstream & now, of course, we can't afford them. :(

We are still fairly alternative in many ways. 😁 For example, we've kept the trees & ferns on the hill even though nearly every one tells us to remove them & *open up the view*. They're our rain & cyclone proofing & the proof is in the pudding. Next door removed everything to *landscape*. This morning all their soil is swimming in the bay... :rolleyes: Which we told them would happen.... After such a long dry they now have a very real problem!

I only do pairs. I've done 1 hen twice and it had gone OK but they run in pairs a lot. An even numbered flock just seems more stable. Of course I have no science to support that, just my observations.
Oh you just gave me the argument I need to get more chickens. I don’t have an even number! I will get right on that. 🐓🐓🐓🐓

Back
Top Bottom