Ribh's D'Coopage

I
It's dark & overcast this morning but the girls were still anxious to get out. Lavender was laying ~ I went to check because she was so bedraggled last night she couldn't get enough flap up to get herself up onto the roost. It took both of us quite some time before she managed to get up with everyone else.

I wonder if one more intermediate step is needed for Lavender. Maybe a brick or something that size?

I

I wonder if one more intermediate step is needed for Lavender. Maybe a brick or something that size?
I think so. I'm going out to look in a bit & see what's lying around. Last night she was wet & that never helps. She's such a heavy girl & not meant for flying.

Ha'penny has me thinking of the princess and the pea - such a deep nest (so many mattesses) and still not entirely comfy laying there!

@Shadrach was talking about nests again over on Bob's thread. This nest should be all wrong according to most people. It's exposed, out in the open, lots of light & Ha'penny knew I knew it was there but wasn't worried about it. It is sort of high & very, very dry with lots of nesting material available. It's not the 1st time Ha'penny has laid in a mulch bag. I had one in the run for convenience for a bit & got several lots of eggs there. As none of the eggs are fertile going broody is pretty pointless round here. :rolleyes: I'm almost tempted to take my supplier up on her offer of fertile eggs...then I think about potential cockerels...😲

I've had similar issues with Mary. Her sheer weight keeps her grounded.
I am fond of my big girls. They aren't my fence hoppers. It's all my lightweights who go up & over. However Lavender has more trouble than most. She paces the coop for a good 20 minutes most nights before she attempts the 1st roost. After that it is easy ~ only not last night. She fell a couple of times. When I tried to help it was worse because she still attempts to flap & I get beat up round the face which is ouchy.

It's dark & overcast this morning but the girls were still anxious to get out. Lavender was laying ~ I went to check because she was so bedraggled last night she couldn't get enough flap up to get herself up onto the roost. It took both of us quite some time before she managed to get up with everyone else.

Was that romaine lettuce waiting for them?

Back
Top Bottom