Ribh's D'Coopage

maybe a little prozak in their water LOL might help
It would be tempting but they are so much fun like this. Nothing like a Campine running round the run like a madwoman screaming her head off! :lau:lau There is a reason I love these birds & it's not because they are quiet, sedate lap chickens. Au contraire.

The Kaboom!

All was calm on the chicken front. The big girls calmly asked to be let in & out of the big coop. The New 'Uns watched this with increasing interest. They passed each other as silent ships in the night.

This all came to an abrupt end @ 3.30 pm.

At 3pm I set out the feed tubs. Most of my big girls congregated under the coop in the sand pit. Lottie, yes, Little Lottie, stood guard over the 3 other big feed tubs repelling all boarders. Fair enough. She was enjoying herself & her pecks never connected. All the new girls gave her the deference her little Wyandotte heart craved.

Things were pottering along fairly peacefully apart from Morrigu who was pacing the wire & screaming. This is not unusual for Campines so I wasn't paying much attention. Then everything went quiet. The next thing Soda exploded from her nesting box & launched the most vicious chicken attack I have ever seen. Morrigu was being held down flat while Soda ripped out neck feathers. They tumbled down the 1st step, Soda screaming. Morrigu slithered away & dropped an egg @ my feet.

Oops. Do not try to lay in the Top Chook's nesting box. She gets really, really upset.

PS Everything promptly returned to normal straight after & has stayed that way.

The Kaboom!

All was calm on the chicken front. The big girls calmly asked to be let in & out of the big coop. The New 'Uns watched this with increasing interest. They passed each other as silent ships in the night.

This all came to an abrupt end @ 3.30 pm.

At 3pm I set out the feed tubs. Most of my big girls congregated under the coop in the sand pit. Lottie, yes, Little Lottie, stood guard over the 3 other big feed tubs repelling all boarders. Fair enough. She was enjoying herself & her pecks never connected. All the new girls gave her the deference her little Wyandotte heart craved.

Things were pottering along fairly peacefully apart from Morrigu who was pacing the wire & screaming. This is not unusual for Campines so I wasn't paying much attention. Then everything went quiet. The next thing Soda exploded from her nesting box & launched the most vicious chicken attack I have ever seen. Morrigu was being held down flat while Soda ripped out neck feathers. They tumbled down the 1st step, Soda screaming. Morrigu slithered away & dropped an egg @ my feet.

Oops. Do not try to lay in the Top Chook's nesting box. She gets really, really upset.

PS Everything promptly returned to normal straight after & has stayed that way.

What a kerfuffle! :smack :eek:

I'm glad things returned to normal pretty promptly.

Here's hoping the roosting goes smoothly tonight!:fl

They managed 13 on that top roost tonight.
Not for long.
All the little girls decided to roost 1st tonight. I missed that as they've all been staying out till the very last moment but Lottie always roosts early so she can snuggle into her favourite corner & the others must have followed her because by the time I arrived my big girls were standing around looking puzzled & unsure of what to make of the whole shebang. The young 'uns were tucked up to Lottie & the big girls began sorting themselves out as usual. Lavender, who always dithers, found herself without a space & the pacing began as she looked for a convenient gap.

Great flapping all round.
It was inevitable Lottie would come down. She is still the tiniest chicken I have.
There was nowhere to tuck her back up so...
20200219_183117 (2).jpg

She found herself on the 2nd roost with Wrold [who seems to be bottom chook] & Aoife.
She was not happy! :(
20200219_183323 (2).jpg

They managed 13 on that top roost tonight.
Not for long.
All the little girls decided to roost 1st tonight. I missed that as they've all been staying out till the very last moment but Lottie always roosts early so she can snuggle into her favourite corner & the others must have followed her because by the time I arrived my big girls were standing around looking puzzled & unsure of what to make of the whole shebang. The young 'uns were tucked up to Lottie & the big girls began sorting themselves out as usual. Lavender, who always dithers, found herself without a space & the pacing began as she looked for a convenient gap.

Great flapping all round.
It was inevitable Lottie would come down. She is still the tiniest chicken I have.
There was nowhere to tuck her back up so...
View attachment 2030137
She found herself on the 2nd roost with Wrold [who seems to be bottom chook] & Aoife.
She was not happy! :(
View attachment 2030138
Oh poor Lottie.

It's really not fair when she gets in first and still doesn't get to keep her favourite spot!

They look so squished up there. Hopefully some more will join Lottie and the others on the 2nd perch before morning

Oh poor Lottie.

It's really not fair when she gets in first and still doesn't get to keep her favourite spot!

They look so squished up there. Hopefully some more will join Lottie and the others on the 2nd perch before morning
I think they're mad. They were obviously hot & squished but no~one was hopping down voluntarily.

Nolia is sick.
She has a partially impacted crop, wry neck symptoms and hasn't pooped this morning.:(
I've got 30ml of water with 400IU of vitamin E and some multi vitamins down her along with some coconut oil. After 4 lots of crop massage she she's standing and walking, albeit unsteadily and slow.
Early this morning when she went to drink her head would go back in the classic star gazing position. That seems to have stopped now.
I took her out for half an hour to be with her family and she drank a lot more water.
In an hour or so I'll give another crop massage with more coconut oil.
What I'm looking for is some sign that what goes in one end comes out the other.
I'm trying to get her to the vets this evening if I can. But, since the storm the phone hasn't been working so I may just drive over with her.

Back
Top Bottom