Ribh's D'Coopage

Ribh

Crossing the Road
Dec 18, 2018
Island, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
My neighbour says the secret is waking up together. He thinks the sooner, the better. I'm more inclined to quarantine first.
:hmm I think the sooner they are in together the better. Quarantine complicates that. The night thing seems to solve some of the issues but in reality I think the biggest factor is breed. I had many more dominant breed birds last time & they were plain mean. This time the majority of the breeds are placid/timid ~ or small~ & I am having far fewer issues.

Shadrach

Roosterist
Jul 31, 2018
Catalonia, Spain
My Coop
My Coop
:hmm I think the sooner they are in together the better. Quarantine complicates that. The night thing seems to solve some of the issues but in reality I think the biggest factor is breed. I had many more dominant breed birds last time & they were plain mean. This time the majority of the breeds are placid/timid ~ or small~ & I am having far fewer issues.
Have you read this Ribh?
https://brill.com/view/journals/beh/137/6/article-p705_3.xml

Shadrach

Roosterist
Jul 31, 2018
Catalonia, Spain
My Coop
My Coop
No~ but I'm about to. Thanks, Sad!
It's easy to get distracted by the weight advantage.
For a better insight concentrate of the successful encounters part. It helps explain how the second in command behaves and some of the behavior of the most senior hen.
The breeders here tend to let their second in commands do the sitting and hatching. Because the second in command has more disputes with the rest of the flock; the senior hens strategy is to let the second in command do her fighting for her (yup, they go on management course for it :p) the second in command has least problems with the rest of the group while broody.

Top Bottom