Ribh's D'Coopage

Lots & lots of noise from the coop, not too much pecking.
Everybody did eventually make it downstairs ~ which is an improvement on last time.
The Big girls are hogging all the prime spots but the newbies are happily rootling in the deep litter. Looks like it will be ok.
I will let the big girls out shortly.

View attachment 2029654
Looking good! Hope all goes well :hugs

Moon has decided she’s had enough of her Brother’s shite and is just going to take a break and roost in the big coop? Nah, the nest box is ok but clearly the Bucket Boy Chair is the “top” roost!:gig

It’s too bad we can’t keep all the boys. Tyle has had it good so far, so if he’s not able to have a place to fit in... doesn’t make it any easier but at least it isn’t wasteful.

I’ll give you all of that except for the cheddar... there are so many nice cheeses that I think cheddar has become more a “style” of cheese than a specific variety. Granted, it would be a great excuse to visit Somerset?

Although, some of those lines of chicken breeds are being carefully maintained to resemble their “local” root stock... but of course there is bound to be adaptations and variables introduced by needing to outcross to keep from too many genetic problems arising. I think it’s a lot like plants and related to evolution. We adapt to our environments, every generation will become more suited to local climates and stray further from its roots. If I were to plunk one of those tropical breeds down here they would either die off completely, or some would adapt. That’s a fairly extreme example, but I bet within 10 or 20 generations they would be a different chicken altogether, even without extensive outcrossing.

So this begs to ask... what shall I call my new local chicken breed? Seeing as Daddy isn’t truly 1/2 Marans, I’m not 100% sure of the “wheaten ameraucana” standards, and mama was a production red hybrid... that makes Chickiehawks daughters their own unique chicken breed right? Saturna Mutt Chickens? Or shall I call them “Saturna Mud Puppies”, because they love the mud in their feathered feet and beards? 😂

I like Mud Puppies!

I'm impressed. I have no idea what you're talking about!

I will not boor you with the details except to say, for me, as an Alfa Romeo owner and enthusiast it was maybe like a fighter pilot touching the Wright Brothers plane.

That car became my new 505hp Guilia. It was a special moment and they did let me touch it.

Lots & lots of noise from the coop, not too much pecking.
Everybody did eventually make it downstairs ~ which is an improvement on last time.
The Big girls are hogging all the prime spots but the newbies are happily rootling in the deep litter. Looks like it will be ok.
I will let the big girls out shortly.

View attachment 2029654
:clap way to go ladies! :clap

I will not boor you with the details except to say, for me, as an Alfa Romeo owner and enthusiast it was maybe like a fighter pilot touching the Wright Brothers plane.

That car became my new 505hp Guilia. It was a special moment and they did let me touch it.
I'm happy for you. It's always special when our enthusiasms match the reality.

Good morning Jeannie, that's fantastic news :ya
:clap way to go ladies! :clap
I have high hopes this will all be settled in a few days. I'm not expecting much shift in the pecking order just because the new girls are considerably smaller & don't seem overly assertive. Lottie is thrilled not to be absolute bottom any longer! 😁

Back
Top Bottom