Ribh's D'Coopage

I got Nolia to the vet at eight this evening. By that time I had got her crop moving with coconut oil, water and massage. During the day Nolia drank 320 ml of water!:th
At around mid afternoon Nolia produced this. I took that to the vet as well.:D
View attachment 2030597
I've had Nolia outside a few times during the day to see if there is something growing or diggable that she might eat. She hadn't eaten any solids all day.
At the vet we did an internal. I had checked for egg binding earlier but Gloria double checked.
During the internal Nolia dumped out a lot of water and more bits of solid....twice. Poor Gloria's examination table was awash.
Gloria says Nolia's crop is not impacted, nor is it sour. It just seems to have run slow and this could well be because of the star gazing position I found her in this morning, if hse had spent the night like that.
Nolia is a good weight, no worms, or other parasites internal, or external and her plumage is in good condition.
The green bits in her poop are partially digested vegetation.
Gloria said she doesn't know what is wrong with Nolia (don't you just love honest vets)
She suspets that like Nolia's sister Bracket there is a neurological problem somewhere.
After Nolia's major waterworks at the vet we let her run around in a compartment with a glass wall attached to the surgery part. Nolia's walk improved from her walks earlier but she was still drinking lots of water.
It's a matter of observation, more oil and water and massage to get her crop fully cleaned out.
When I got home I put out a bit of her normal commercial feed along with yet more water and Nolia eat about a teaspoonfull before wandering around looking for somewhere to roost.
Here she is on walkabout.
View attachment 2030611
I put her in the pet carrier on top of the nest box and covered it with a towel to keep the light out. She was still pooping water like nobodies business and I'm running out of towels.
Tomorrow, as they say, is another day.
Well, it’s a relief that she is otherwise in good health.

Here’s hoping that whatever is the matter clears itself up and she feels better very soon. *hugs* :hugs

(I can’t seem to access the emojis on my mobile consistently *shrug* *cranky face*)

:idunno:mad: (Ah! They’ve reappeared!)

The Kaboom!

All was calm on the chicken front. The big girls calmly asked to be let in & out of the big coop. The New 'Uns watched this with increasing interest. They passed each other as silent ships in the night.

This all came to an abrupt end @ 3.30 pm.

At 3pm I set out the feed tubs. Most of my big girls congregated under the coop in the sand pit. Lottie, yes, Little Lottie, stood guard over the 3 other big feed tubs repelling all boarders. Fair enough. She was enjoying herself & her pecks never connected. All the new girls gave her the deference her little Wyandotte heart craved.

Things were pottering along fairly peacefully apart from Morrigu who was pacing the wire & screaming. This is not unusual for Campines so I wasn't paying much attention. Then everything went quiet. The next thing Soda exploded from her nesting box & launched the most vicious chicken attack I have ever seen. Morrigu was being held down flat while Soda ripped out neck feathers. They tumbled down the 1st step, Soda screaming. Morrigu slithered away & dropped an egg @ my feet.

Oops. Do not try to lay in the Top Chook's nesting box. She gets really, really upset.

PS Everything promptly returned to normal straight after & has stayed that way.

Well that's a lesson she won't soon forget!!

Yesterday I took Breeze to his new home. I was sad to see him go. He's been very unhappy since I had to stop free ranging. I had thought about freezer camp for him, but he is so beautiful and such a good rooster that I really wanted to find him a new home.

He joined a free range bachelor flock of roosters just 5 minutes from my house. They have lots of other animals and we have been invited to stop by and see him any time.

Their daughter is the chicken lover and was thrilled to have a cuddly bird. Breeze made himself right at home and there hasn't been any major conflicts between the boys.

IMG_0272.jpg

The other 2 roos (you can see them over his shoulder) already taught him they get a bedtime snack on the porch and then they roost in the horse barn and are on mouse patrol.

IMG_0273.jpg

Yesterday I took Breeze to his new home. I was sad to see him go. He's been very unhappy since I had to stop free ranging. I had thought about freezer camp for him, but he is so beautiful and such a good rooster that I really wanted to find him a new home.

He joined a free range bachelor flock of roosters just 5 minutes from my house. They have lots of other animals and we have been invited to stop by and see him any time.

Their daughter is the chicken lover and was thrilled to have a cuddly bird. Breeze made himself right at home and there hasn't been any major conflicts between the boys.

View attachment 2030713

The other 2 roos (you can see them over his shoulder) already taught him they get a bedtime snack on the porch and then they roost in the horse barn and are on mouse patrol.

View attachment 2030714
Such a friendly, beautiful boy. I can see why you are sad to see him go.

I hope he enjoys hanging with his new bros.

Edit autocorrect :barnie

I got Nolia to the vet at eight this evening. By that time I had got her crop moving with coconut oil, water and massage. During the day Nolia drank 320 ml of water!:th
At around mid afternoon Nolia produced this. I took that to the vet as well.:D
View attachment 2030597
I've had Nolia outside a few times during the day to see if there is something growing or diggable that she might eat. She hadn't eaten any solids all day.
At the vet we did an internal. I had checked for egg binding earlier but Gloria double checked.
During the internal Nolia dumped out a lot of water and more bits of solid....twice. Poor Gloria's examination table was awash.
Gloria says Nolia's crop is not impacted, nor is it sour. It just seems to have run slow and this could well be because of the star gazing position I found her in this morning, if hse had spent the night like that.
Nolia is a good weight, no worms, or other parasites internal, or external and her plumage is in good condition.
The green bits in her poop are partially digested vegetation.
Gloria said she doesn't know what is wrong with Nolia (don't you just love honest vets)
She suspets that like Nolia's sister Bracket there is a neurological problem somewhere.
After Nolia's major waterworks at the vet we let her run around in a compartment with a glass wall attached to the surgery part. Nolia's walk improved from her walks earlier but she was still drinking lots of water.
It's a matter of observation, more oil and water and massage to get her crop fully cleaned out.
When I got home I put out a bit of her normal commercial feed along with yet more water and Nolia eat about a teaspoonfull before wandering around looking for somewhere to roost.
Here she is on walkabout.
View attachment 2030611
I put her in the pet carrier on top of the nest box and covered it with a towel to keep the light out. She was still pooping water like nobodies business and I'm running out of towels.
Tomorrow, as they say, is another day.

I hope Nolia recovers. :hugs Reading your post made me wonder if Chickie is suffering from an impacted crop. I've just emailed my vet and I might have to see her tomorrow.

So far, so good. My big girls have been in & out as necessity dictates but there have been no squabbles, barely even the occasional peck. Most of my ladies were waiting @ the gate this morning & couldn't have cared less what those poor souls condemned to the Big Coop were doing. We have had a peaceful day again.
The Aracaunas seem anxious to join the older girls to experience the joys of life beyond the coop. It will be a few days yet before I'm feeling that brave.
20200220_062836.jpg

View attachment 2030713

View attachment 2030714

I'm glad he got to have a new home and not become dinner.

So far, so good. My big girls have been in & out as necessity dictates but there have been no squabbles, barely even the occasional peck. Most of my ladies were waiting @ the gate this morning & couldn't have cared less what those poor souls condemned to the Big Coop were doing. We have had a peaceful day again.
The Aracaunas seem anxious to join the older girls to experience the joys of life beyond the coop. It will be a few days yet before I'm feeling that brave.
View attachment 2030980

It is going so well. I'm very happy for you.

Back
Top Bottom