Ribh's D'Coopage

So far, so good. My big girls have been in & out as necessity dictates but there have been no squabbles, barely even the occasional peck. Most of my ladies were waiting @ the gate this morning & couldn't have cared less what those poor souls condemned to the Big Coop were doing. We have had a peaceful day again.
The Aracaunas seem anxious to join the older girls to experience the joys of life beyond the coop. It will be a few days yet before I'm feeling that brave.
View attachment 2030980

Looking good :fl

Yesterday I took Breeze to his new home. I was sad to see him go. He's been very unhappy since I had to stop free ranging. I had thought about freezer camp for him, but he is so beautiful and such a good rooster that I really wanted to find him a new home.

He joined a free range bachelor flock of roosters just 5 minutes from my house. They have lots of other animals and we have been invited to stop by and see him any time.

Their daughter is the chicken lover and was thrilled to have a cuddly bird. Breeze made himself right at home and there hasn't been any major conflicts between the boys.

View attachment 2030713

The other 2 roos (you can see them over his shoulder) already taught him they get a bedtime snack on the porch and then they roost in the horse barn and are on mouse patrol.

View attachment 2030714
:D
The rooster looks happy enough but the man looks a bit apprehensive.

Last edited:
Yesterday I took Breeze to his new home. I was sad to see him go. He's been very unhappy since I had to stop free ranging. I had thought about freezer camp for him, but he is so beautiful and such a good rooster that I really wanted to find him a new home.

He joined a free range bachelor flock of roosters just 5 minutes from my house. They have lots of other animals and we have been invited to stop by and see him any time.

Their daughter is the chicken lover and was thrilled to have a cuddly bird. Breeze made himself right at home and there hasn't been any major conflicts between the boys.

View attachment 2030713

The other 2 roos (you can see them over his shoulder) already taught him they get a bedtime snack on the porch and then they roost in the horse barn and are on mouse patrol.

View attachment 2030714
He's a lovely looking boy. Glad he got a chance to live his life.

I got Nolia to the vet at eight this evening. By that time I had got her crop moving with coconut oil, water and massage. During the day Nolia drank 320 ml of water!:th
At around mid afternoon Nolia produced this. I took that to the vet as well.:D
View attachment 2030597
I've had Nolia outside a few times during the day to see if there is something growing or diggable that she might eat. She hadn't eaten any solids all day.
At the vet we did an internal. I had checked for egg binding earlier but Gloria double checked.
During the internal Nolia dumped out a lot of water and more bits of solid....twice. Poor Gloria's examination table was awash.
Gloria says Nolia's crop is not impacted, nor is it sour. It just seems to have run slow and this could well be because of the star gazing position I found her in this morning, if hse had spent the night like that.
Nolia is a good weight, no worms, or other parasites internal, or external and her plumage is in good condition.
The green bits in her poop are partially digested vegetation.
Gloria said she doesn't know what is wrong with Nolia (don't you just love honest vets)
She suspets that like Nolia's sister Bracket there is a neurological problem somewhere.
After Nolia's major waterworks at the vet we let her run around in a compartment with a glass wall attached to the surgery part. Nolia's walk improved from her walks earlier but she was still drinking lots of water.
It's a matter of observation, more oil and water and massage to get her crop fully cleaned out.
When I got home I put out a bit of her normal commercial feed along with yet more water and Nolia eat about a teaspoonfull before wandering around looking for somewhere to roost.
Here she is on walkabout.
View attachment 2030611
I put her in the pet carrier on top of the nest box and covered it with a towel to keep the light out. She was still pooping water like nobodies business and I'm running out of towels.
Tomorrow, as they say, is another day.
How is she this morning, Shad?

It is going so well. I'm very happy for you.
Looking good :fl
Thanks everyone. I seem to have been very blessed this time round. They are working things out with a minimum of fuss. The littlies were first to roost again last night & had spread themselves out along the top bar. My Biggies weren't having a bar of that 2 nights in a row & promptly shooed everyone off. Lottie, who could have roosted on the top, chose to roost on the 2nd bar with the new girls. It is very funny watching her be a bossy little chicken when even the new girls are so much bigger than she is.

Back
Top Bottom