Ribh's D'Coopage

What will happen to the chicks once they've hatched? Will you be keeping them?

They will all come home with me. My silkie is broody and LOVES all babies, so I plan for her to raise them, if not I'll do it.

I plan to raise them to a sexable age, then sell some. I already have one lady looking for 3 pullets and she's waiting to see what I end up with.

We have ourselves a biter.

No. Not Morrigu.
Beatha.

Not sure what is going on. The Araucanas & Campines have decided I'm *safe* & will take tidbits from my hand. The Wyandottes are more reserved but being lower down the pecking order are usually forced back.

However Beatha has decided being hand fed is the way to go & has quickly become quite imperious, standing on *her* log & demanding. She did try getting in my lap with Lottie but Lottie stood there & gave her the evil eye until she removed herself.
20200215_182816 (3).jpg

She has a lovely strong beak which is sharper than Lavender's & she likes to rake it through the feed which is on the ouchy side. However she really likes to bite my fingers. It doesn't matter how I hold my hand or how I pool the food eventually she decides a good nip is in order. It feels like a parrot bite so I will be discouraging her from now on. I'm rather fond of my fingers & have no intention of allowing them to become chicken fodder.​

No. Not Morrigu.
Beatha.

Not sure what is going on. The Araucanas & Campines have decided I'm *safe* & will take tidbits from my hand. The Wyandottes are more reserved but being lower down the pecking order are usually forced back.

However Beatha has decided being hand fed is the way to go & has quickly become quite imperious, standing on *her* log & demanding. She did try getting in my lap with Lottie but Lottie stood there & gave her the evil eye until she removed herself.
View attachment 2037049

She has a lovely strong beak which is sharper than Lavender's & she likes to rake it through the feed which is on the ouchy side. However she really likes to bite my fingers. It doesn't matter how I hold my hand or how I pool the food eventually she decides a good nip is in order. It feels like a parrot bite so I will be discouraging her from now on. I'm rather fond of my fingers & have no intention of allowing them to become chicken fodder.​
Some serious body language going down there.

OMG!!! I just can't stand it! I won't get to see the babies until tomorrow afternoon and I don't think I will make it!

6045284101.jpg

This is the little EE that hatched from the green egg.

6045284201.jpg

This little one was from a brown egg, and I believe is a full barred rock between Stanley and Veronica.

There is also at least 1 more egg with an external pip.

Some serious body language going down there.
These are the 2 that battled it out for top chook while in the small coop. Morrigu won that round but interestingly neither is as high now full integration has occurred. It is Mhari & Medh who perch on the top rail @ night. Morrigu is harassed by pretty much all the big girls & the newbies alike. She doesn't seem to be a popular hen & I'm not sure why. This lot of Campines are far more tractable than my last lot but they are not allowed the run yet. They will fly the length of the coop & straight up after bugs so they need a little more time to settle so I can be sure of them returning if they get out. Hopefully the run will be fixed over the next month & I won't have to worry.

No. Not Morrigu.
Beatha.

View attachment 2037049

That beak is quite scary. I am worried for your fingers for sure.

Hattie does that swipe with her break. Her's is also quite sharp. Lilly also does it every once in a while. I noticed the other day how worn down Lilly's beak is. It's quite round comparatively speaking.

That beak is quite scary. I am worried for your fingers for sure.

Hattie does that swipe with her break. Her's is also quite sharp. Lilly also does it every once in a while. I noticed the other day how worn down Lilly's beak is. It's quite round comparatively speaking.
Yes, Ha'penny & Lottie are very gentle & so was Tuppence. Lavender is rough & I've had to discourage her too. She is unhappy about it but I can't have them drawing blood & my skin's not as tough as it once was.

These are the 2 that battled it out for top chook while in the small coop. Morrigu won that round but interestingly neither is as high now full integration has occurred. It is Mhari & Medh who perch on the top rail @ night. Morrigu is harassed by pretty much all the big girls & the newbies alike. She doesn't seem to be a popular hen & I'm not sure why. This lot of Campines are far more tractable than my last lot but they are not allowed the run yet. They will fly the length of the coop & straight up after bugs so they need a little more time to settle so I can be sure of them returning if they get out. Hopefully the run will be fixed over the next month & I won't have to worry.
I'm beginning to like these Campines. :)

I'm beginning to like these Campines. :)
Yes, I think they're your sort of chook. Quite feral in many ways. Very independent but willing to engage on their own terms. They are great foragers. I have to keep the mulch up in the run & coop to help keep them contained. They are quite good layers of a medium white egg too. Kris could do with a flock of these to spread her cow manure. :lau

Back
Top Bottom