Ribh's D'Coopage

I think most of us on these threads do ~ the exception being Shad who has a ton of knowledge & a very good vet @ his disposal. Most of us don't have a great vet so we muddle along doing the best we can with inadequate knowledge. MJ has a great avian vet & I think Lozzy does too. It's why sharing & helping each other becomes so important.
We have to help each other. Together we can at least approximate a vet. There is a ton of knowledge in the people who participate in these threads.

In the box next to Alpia was Luna.
I was super pleased to see her looking her usual calm self.
View attachment 2344408
Then I noticed this.
It is wedged down between her comb & her head & I think it is a paralysis tick!🤢
View attachment 2344415

These are the devil to get out but I learnt a trick when I had a cat who would always get ticks on his eyelids. Ever tried removing a tick from a cat's eyelid? It can't be done. So a bit of vaseline, or in this case, Black Ointment, to smother it & they will start backing out on their own before dying.

We have been having a bad start to the tick season having had rain when we shouldn't & hens are pretty good about cleaning them up usually but I have never seen this before! 🙄

I'm starting to feel quite defeated.​
Ticks freak me out! My chickens ate them all out of my yard. The dog used to get them on her all the time. I'm surprised the other chickens did not just eat that off of her.

You have a really good eye to see that.

Ticks freak me out! My chickens ate them all out of my yard. The dog used to get them on her all the time. I'm surprised the other chickens did not just eat that off of her.

You have a really good eye to see that.
I was surprised too ~ especially given my eyesight is generally not considered the best but then, as the man pointed out, she's been isolated. We didn't have ticks for years. My first flock free ranged & cleaned them all up but of course all the wildlife brings them back in. I'll check shortly & see if I can remove it safely.

I was surprised too ~ especially given my eyesight is generally not considered the best but then, as the man pointed out, she's been isolated. We didn't have ticks for years. My first flock free ranged & cleaned them all up but of course all the wildlife brings them back in. I'll check shortly & see if I can remove it safely.
Good luck.

Such a good girl!
I had her all wrapped up but it was already dead & came out easily
20200923_105819.jpg
Ghastly things! It was a good size but @ least its now dead & gone.
20200923_111208.jpg

Back
Top Bottom