Ribh's D'Coopage

My sudden disappearance was due to the lad suddenly arriving with kidlets in tow. He went crabbing & left the kidlets with me.

We worked on how to interact with the animals.🙄
Easier without mum constantly telling me how little she is. I know how little she is.
One is never too little to learn how to interact with another species correctly.
We are getting there. Don't follow directives about being quiet & gentle then out you go because this is the chickens home!
Thankfully all my girls are very good with the kidlets. They seem to understand they are little & are tolerant. The girl went home covered in chicken poop [she got into the coop proper when I got distracted]. The lad went home covered in food dye. We cooked & iced cupcakes while his sister napped.
I need about a week to recover I think.:gig

45069244-332a-42ef-b8cd-2bbb605dd8de (2).jpg

Today Rich and I finally tackled moving my main layer flock's run. We quickly threw together this run when the neighbors call the Boro on us. It was not at all how I wanted it to look like or where I wanted it to be.

I took A LOT of pictures, so I'll post them in thumbnail size, please click on them to see them in detail.❤

I pulled out all the posts I could, then I called in the reinforcements, Rich pulled out the rest for me.
20200927_130849.jpg

We built a little walk way to the new run. We'll cover this with plastic this winter, it faces North.
20200927_160710.jpg
All the light colored dirt is the old run. We're going to level it off and plant grass again.

I found this amazing chicken feeder for $20 at a yard sale a couple weeks ago! Now I just need them to be afraid of it.😒
20200927_160729.jpg

My helper was not always very helpful...
20200927_164043.jpg

The run now goes along the side of their coop and down the hill to the back of the house. They have lots of grass to scratch at.
20200927_175110.jpg

This is the side view. We were running put of day light so the orange fence is temporary. We only got half the netting up.
20200927_175134.jpg

That's my kitchen Pantry above the coop. That's my living room window overlooking the run.❤
20200927_175211.jpg

It won't take long to finish up and we have now doubled their run size. They are now out of the direct wind and sun.

20200927_190734.jpg
A beautiful ending to a productive day!

Today Rich and I finally tackled moving my main layer flock's run. We quickly threw together this run when the neighbors call the Boro on us. It was not at all how I wanted it to look like or where I wanted it to be.

I took A LOT of pictures, so I'll post them in thumbnail size, please click on them to see them in detail.❤

I pulled out all the posts I could, then I called in the reinforcements, Rich pulled out the rest for me.
View attachment 2351008

We built a little walk way to the new run. We'll cover this with plastic this winter, it faces North.
View attachment 2351010
All the light colored dirt is the old run. We're going to level it off and plant grass again.

I found this amazing chicken feeder for $20 at a yard sale a couple weeks ago! Now I just need them to be afraid of it.😒
View attachment 2351011

My helper was not always very helpful...
View attachment 2351013

The run now goes along the side of their coop and down the hill to the back of the house. They have lots of grass to scratch at.
View attachment 2351015

This is the side view. We were running put of day light so the orange fence is temporary. We only got half the netting up.
View attachment 2351018

That's my kitchen Pantry above the coop. That's my living room window overlooking the run.❤
View attachment 2351019

It won't take long to finish up and we have now doubled their run size. They are now out of the direct wind and sun.

View attachment 2351050
A beautiful ending to a productive day!
Wow. Great job! These steep hillsides are so hard to fence! We are slowly getting there with ours too. :)

When I left to do our mail run everyone except Aoife [who is chronic] was in the run behaving themselves. When I got back everyone bar Lavender [who is too heavy to make the jump] was out. 🙄 As I started walking towards the run every hen head came up & they all obediently followed me. Mhari decided to take flight & shot past my ear ~ 30 feet & over the fence before coming down ~ elegantly, as the man commented. Ha'penny squatted for me & allowed herself to be picked up for a cuddle. I opened the fence so I could get in & Kirby saunted past me out of nowhere & he & Morrigu had a Mexican stand off. I found an egg in the nesting straw container. Hepzibah & Soda waited for me while I filled the tub hoping for 1st dibs. I got crowded @ the door & as I bent over to put feed in the treadle I felt a weight on my back. Aoife had arrived & was happily stomping up my back to my shoulder so she could see what I was doing! :barnie I swear, a day with the kidlets & every animal on the place has lost its mind!

Nope. Not the illustrator I know. I've never seen these covers in my life.
Steve Weston is the illustrator I know. I think his dragons are fantastic. ;)
Ahhh! Most of my copies of the Pern books have those covers. They are lovely but I don't think that they look much like McCaffery's descriptions. That's why I am partial to M. Whelan's covers. 😉

It seems like my rooster, is hanging on to life on my account. (Maybe he knows how bad I'm going to feel, if he passes away) He's trying so hard to crow, but can't. He's breathing is rough, and he sneezes in order to breathe better. There are no avian vets anywhere near me, or he would have been seen already! It's been a long night, and will be an even longer day for me.
Thanks for reading this my friends.:hugs
I'm so sorry Featherhead. :hugs

I wonder if steam would help his breathing? Have you thought about bringing him into the bathroom with you when you have a shower? Not into the shower itself of course!

Back
Top Bottom