Ribh's D'Coopage

Sounds like you have the same worry we have...roaming dogs...they can quickly decimate a flock...I loved having our chickens free range in our yard, but no longer, because of dogs!
Yep ~ & I'm not a dog person @ all. Neighbours on both sides have dogs. One lot is fine. They have a very well trained blue cattle dog & he loves the kidlets & they love him but the other side breeds small yappy dogs ~ poodles @ the moment & they are yappy, bouncy biters. They don't get loose often but they are renovating & it has happened & they know all about my chickens, who send them frantic when they're on their verandah. Then there are the big pit bull mixes that appear out of nowhere & I have no idea who owns them. They are really concerning & I loathe them.

Somewhere we were talking about spurs etc on hens.
Not that I think anyone has forgotten, but this is Lock. Lock is one of the hens that has lived here that doesn't lay eggs.
There's more though. Her comb is basically a smaller version of Mag's, he's a rooster and she's got the rooster haircut. She doesn't have spurs as such although she did have growths on both legs were spurs would be. While I've never seen her try to mate with any of the hens.
She does pecks the hens but not in an aggressive manner; it's more playful, particularly with Bracket who Lock always catches by surprise.
Lock has been moulting and is just finishing off her new primaries and tail feathers.

View attachment 2352033View attachment 2352035
She's a beautiful hen 😍

Just imagine, these things sell at high dollar amounts here!
:old
crabs.JPG

Just imagine, these things sell at high dollar amounts here!
:old
View attachment 2352083
:lau I'm vegetarian & hate all seafood. People are stunned given where I live but I love living near the water. The view is wonderful. I just don't want to be in it, on it or eat what comes out of it. :gig

Yep ~ & I'm not a dog person @ all. Neighbours on both sides have dogs. One lot is fine. They have a very well trained blue cattle dog & he loves the kidlets & they love him but the other side breeds small yappy dogs ~ poodles @ the moment & they are yappy, bouncy biters. They don't get loose often but they are renovating & it has happened & they know all about my chickens, who send them frantic when they're on their verandah. Then there are the big pit bull mixes that appear out of nowhere & I have no idea who owns them. They are really concerning & I loathe them.
People need to learn how to control them and I blame the owner's not the dogs, but once they start killing chickens or other livestock, it's very hard to break them of it, if it can be done at all!

People need to learn how to control them and I blame the owner's not the dogs, but once they start killing chickens or other livestock, it's very hard to break them of it, if it can be done at all!
Yep. I wish people would train their dogs & contain them but then I have cats that are virtually untrainable & uncontainable. I have tried over the year but cats are real escape artists & super determined.

Back
Top Bottom