Ribh's D'Coopage

For what it's worth...
Here, if one chicken has mites, or lice, then the others in that tribe have them too. The problem is, on some it's a lot less apparent than it is on others and some seem to be more susceptible to one, or the other, than others. As usual:rolleyes: Tribe 2 has a mite problem. It's very minor because I torch the coop, but on Hinge they are a problem while on Bracket for example they are not. It's the same with scaly leg mite. Mag, Nolia and Lock get them badly; the others have them on and off and seem to be able to deal with them better.
Worms here is different. One chicken can have worms and the others not.
Bear in mind if you have red mite, which are not red at all but pale grey until they feed, you are unlikely to see them on the chicken. They live in the coop and come out at night like all good vampires do.
Mites you can see on the chicken here at least, are likely to be Northern Fowl mite. These are pretty serious and will if left untreated for not that long, make the chicken sick.
With both lice and mites it's not the ones that you can see crawling about that are the major problem, it's the eggs. If you don't deal with the eggs then even after apparently ridding the chicken of the live moving ones the eggs hatch and the cycle goes on.
My eyesight isn't good close up. I run a finger nail down thhe feather shaft to the skin. It should be absolutely smooth. If you can feel bumps a closer inspection is required. I have a quite powerful magnifying glass. I find this helps a lot.
You can also take close up photos with your phone and enlarge the pictures as well to see what is happening. I do that a lot.

Due to circumstances beyond my control the mainland car is in the shop to get the electrical window winder thingy fixed. So I don't have a mainland car. Which means we didn't go to the mainland today. Which means I didn't pick up a fresh supply of chicken feed.

I looked @ my options: dubious quality island feed or make a mash of something myself. I went with the 2nd option because I have several girls in need of a little extra protein just now. Lavender ~ & who knows why ~ is moulting again. Lots. Big bare patches showing in her underneaths. :( Suyin because she is Suyin. Wrold is showing signs of going mean broody again & Medh still not 100% up to par. So I made up this gross mix of rice, scrambled egg & tuna. The cats went ballistic @ me so got to taste test the concoction. They deemed it edible so out it went to the chooks. You'd've thought it was all their Christmases come @ once.

Alpia promptly escaped the run & hopped right in a tub to scoff before she had to fight off the big girls. Medh watched which tubs I was filling & on seeing the small one promptly went & waited by the small coop door! 🙄 No flies on Medh. I put out an extra tub to give everyone a fighting chance of getting some of the nice stuff. I don't hand feed when it's fishy.🤢 Besides it was warm & sticky...:sick & it is cold outside, baby. 🥶 Here we are in the middle of spring & it feels like the middle of autumn. I can see me tossing around a bit of corn a bit later just because it is so nasty out there. :(

Back
Top Bottom