Ribh's D'Coopage

Well. I am grumpy this evening - brutal week at work.
I typed the above entry and thought grumpily "time they produced an egg"... ... ... Then I grumpily bundled up to go out to close the Princesses up for the night and set the mouse-traps and cameras ... ... ... ... And I grumpily stomped through the rain ... .... .... ... And I grumpily picked my way through the mud to get to the Chicken Palace ... ... ... ... ... And I grumpily checked the egg boxes ... ... ..... And ... ... ... ...
View attachment 2437130View attachment 2437131

NOT GRUMPY ANYMORE!!!
My first teeny tiny blue gift from one of the Little Princesses.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :wee

that's my big girls. :) The new lot scatter if I so much as look @ them wrong. :(
That is usual here.
As very tiny chicks just hatched, no fear of me at all.
A few days older and mum has taught them that bucket boy isn't chicken.
As teenagers more confident and friendly but a bit of a handfull at times.
When the hens start laying the do not like contact.
After about a year from watching the elders in the tribe put up with me they decide what I am and am not good for.
By three years old they're used to me and will put up with most things I do; apart from Donk who won't have any of it.
After three years old a lot depends on the chickens personality. Most just accept I'm some kind of oddball that has a place in the tribe.
The older they get in general the more friendly they become. They watch how the others react to you. They know that you'll help them when they are in trouble or sick/injured. I'm pretty sure I get points for looking after the sick. They seem to know.

Back
Top Bottom