Ribh's D'Coopage

I spent nearly an hour with Wrold yesterday afternoon making sure she filled her crop & actually drank something. I would be less peeved about her constant broodiness if she was a sensible hen but she gets fixated, trances & doesn't move of the nest. It's a process as she only eats a few bites before bok~bokking to get back on a nest, any nest; she's not fussy. She doesn't even need eggs. 🙄 She's getting too thin for my liking so every time she flapped off I grabbed her again & offered food. She'd scoff, as she's obviously starving, then start fretting again. Rinse & repeat! 😖 It took a while but eventually I could feel her crop. Probably not as full as it should have been but I think we'd both had enough by then so it was into the carrier for the night. She's such a stubborn girl & would probably make an excellent mother but it ain't happening any time soon.

I
I spent nearly an hour with Wrold yesterday afternoon making sure she filled her crop & actually drank something. I would be less peeved about her constant broodiness if she was a sensible hen but she gets fixated, trances & doesn't move of the nest. It's a process as she only eats a few bites before bok~bokking to get back on a nest, any nest; she's not fussy. She doesn't even need eggs. 🙄 She's getting too thin for my liking so every time she flapped off I grabbed her again & offered food. She'd scoff, as she's obviously starving, then start fretting again. Rinse & repeat! 😖 It took a while but eventually I could feel her crop. Probably not as full as it should have been but I think we'd both had enough by then so it was into the carrier for the night. She's such a stubborn girl & would probably make an excellent mother but it ain't happening any time soon.
It's amazing how far a broody hen will push herself. Mary is always a shadow of her fomer self after brooding and she gets up once or twice every day. She seems to regain her health quickly though and is blooming with good health by the time she starts laying again.

Actually, Ribh do your broody hens take a few weeks off between sitting? What I really want to know is how frequently hens go on the brood, or is each hen different? Ivy and Mary have brooded twice this summer, Peggy once.

I think each hen is different. Soda has tried once but not very determinedly. Hepzibah, who has been chronic other years, has only tried once this year, Alpia & Wrold just seem to be constantly broody. They may get a week or so in between but barely. Mhari went about once a month or so & was really stubborn about it. The Campines are infrequent but incredibly sneaky about it. Luna, Patricia & Beatha have shown no inclination @ all to go broody.

I

It's amazing how far a broody hen will push herself. Mary is always a shadow of her fomer self after brooding and she gets up once or twice every day. She seems to regain her health quickly though and is blooming with good health by the time she starts laying again.

Wrold seems healthy enough, just a little underweight, which is not surprising considering how rarely she leaves the nest & what a nut job she is when she does. I won't have her make herself ill so am intervening quite thoroughly this time. She needs to stop it for her own sake!

Poor baby. 😥

Actually, Ribh do your broody hens take a few weeks off between sitting? What I really want to know is how frequently hens go on the brood, or is each hen different? Ivy and Mary have brooded twice this summer, Peggy once.
I don't think I will be much help with this but Sydney thought about it a second time after the little ones had moved to CCCLs. That was about 6 weeks later. She wasn't determined though and gave up after I took her eggs.

I don't think I will be much help with this but Sydney thought about it a second time after the little ones had moved to CCCLs. That was about 6 weeks later. She wasn't determined though and gave up after I took her eggs.
Hmmm I'm wondering how things will proceed. I think there's about a month before each broodster has laid a clutch. But I'm very interested to see whether they decide to sit again this summer.

Back
Top Bottom