Ribh's D'Coopage

Medh has been to the vet again. She is not a well chicken. Temp; bit of blood in her droppings, hugely swollen belly & not really eating or drinking.

I can't afford x~rays which might show a blockage or tumour ~ I just don't have unlimited funds or even a regular income ~ but probably not Ascites . Possibly a touch of cocci brought about by whatever else is ailing her. Possibly egg peritonitis. She is on a broad spectrum antibiotic & the vet gave her a shot of something to make her feel better.

She is a lovely little chicken & was super well behaved throughout her examination. Given she's a Campine that's almost @ miracle status!

The vet will bring something over to treat everyone for cocci. I had terrible trouble getting Amprolium last time & this time the Littlies got treated 1st before I ran out.

View attachment 2488419

My vet is really nice & enjoys talking chicken. :D Last time I showed her my new acquisitions & like most people she was charmed. They are very pretty chickies! She keeps chickens herself, always a bonus, & wanted to know where I had acquired mine. I didn't have the information on me so wrote it down for her this time & she was thrilled I had remembered her interest & got the information for her. She has finally talked her hubby into building her a nice big coop ...🤣🤣🤣...don't we all know this story...& hopes to have pictures to show me next visit. So despite my worry about Medh it was a really nice visit & she's very good with my chickens. Gentle & doesn't spook them.
I'm sorry to hear this...I hope as I read further she will be showing some improvement! :hugs

RIP Medh.

Some time this afternoon Medh's spirit passed.

I made her up a special mash & got her antibiotic ready & when I went to get her she was gone. :(

We tried hard together. I know she had longer than she otherwise might have & she loved her life here always, from the moment I brought her home. I will miss her but whatever was wrong she is now @ peace.
Go in peace, sweet girl.

View attachment 2488682

View attachment 2488685
I'm so sorry Jehane...you've had more than your fare share of loss! She was such a beautiful little lady! :hugs

I spent nearly an hour with Wrold yesterday afternoon making sure she filled her crop & actually drank something. I would be less peeved about her constant broodiness if she was a sensible hen but she gets fixated, trances & doesn't move of the nest. It's a process as she only eats a few bites before bok~bokking to get back on a nest, any nest; she's not fussy. She doesn't even need eggs. 🙄 She's getting too thin for my liking so every time she flapped off I grabbed her again & offered food. She'd scoff, as she's obviously starving, then start fretting again. Rinse & repeat! 😖 It took a while but eventually I could feel her crop. Probably not as full as it should have been but I think we'd both had enough by then so it was into the carrier for the night. She's such a stubborn girl & would probably make an excellent mother but it ain't happening any time soon.
I’m sorry, Ribh. That actually sounds very stressful.

I’m sorry, Ribh. That actually sounds very stressful.

It's just one more thing @ the moment. 🙄 And one of the easier things if a little time consuming. I have been dosing 10 chickens individually for 3 days in a row & now have Patricia with what looks like some sort of infection.. I have started the bigger of the little girls on their dose. They have 1 more day then I will do the little girls. It just felt too overwhelming to do 18 chickens all @ once. Not all my girls are good about being medicated. :th

I'm so sorry Jehane...you've had more than your fare share of loss! She was such a beautiful little lady! :hugs

Thanks, Rene. She did pretty well all things considered. She'd been to & from to the vet a number of times but we weren't able to pinpoint what exactly was wrong. She got longer than she otherwise might have & she was happy. How many hens can say that of their lives?

Patricia's bum is bright red.

20210121_155829.jpg

I'm assuming that's the Uropygial gland. Everything round there is red & infected as well.
I am not happy. My girls are stressing me out just now. 😧
I have slathered her in Betadine & started her on Medh's antibiotics ~ which are a broad spectrum antibiotic.​

20210121_155805.jpg

The poor girl is sort of moulting just now too.

I'm hoping this is not another vet trip ~ which it will be if things don't improve drastically by next week.​

Back
Top Bottom