Ribh's D'Coopage

CHOOK OF THE WEEK.
This week's chook is Ha'penny.
Ok, we all know I'm biased. I adore this breed. They are stunningly beautiful & actually
pretty good layers. Their medium sized eggs are white.
The Campines originated in a Belgium village near Antwerp & were simply considered another village chicken until the Brits got hold of them & developed an exhibition bird.

Campines come in silver or gold. Both are gorgeous! The males are hen feathered ~ which just means they have the same feathering as females.
View attachment 2734979
Ha'penny arrived with her sister, Tuppence, as POLs the 1st week of April 2019, so she is now one of my older girls.

Campines have a reputation for being flighty & screamers & definitely non~broody.
I have found they settle considerably on beginning to lay & if enough time is spent with them these less desirable characteristics diminish considerably. And don't believe the non~broody rap! 🙄
View attachment 2735009
The thing about Campines, especially the golds, is that they are incredibly rare. They are an endangered breed & not really suitable for a small suburban backyard. These girls are great foragers, pretty good fliers, incredibly smart & like to have a large territory to free range in..​
She is one of my favorites in your tribe. I love her shape and coloring. I'm partial to the gold Campines over the silver.

This is going to be the best week! Pictures of Ha'penny every day! :wee :wee

Back
Top Bottom