Ribh's D'Coopage

If I thought she was unhappy or in pain it would be a one way trip to the vet but for now, though each day is a struggle for her, she seems content. I've let Oshina out but I have a broody I need to break so she'll still have company @ night. When I'm around to supervise she gets grass time. I hate to make the call too early but it is a fine line to judge.

I find it fascinating that the bantams seem to be much, much hardier ~ even though their genetics have been fiddled with. I've had very few problems with them compared to the standards. Yes they go broody. No, they don't lay every day but on the whole I have found them much easier to deal with. And they cost less to run. 🤣 I was frightened of the smaller birds to start with but now I'm far more pro them & not so scared of hurting them when I have to handle them.
I think the breeding of bantams went a different route to the prolific egg layers and the so called dual purpose breeds.
In the UK bantams were enthusiasts breeds and probably still are.
Bantams are quite difficult to keep if they are not penned. You'll probably remember that Tribe 2, the pro tree huggers were bantams. They're often too flighty and fast for the average keeper to deal with and none of the bantams I've known were that interested in being anyones pet.

I think the breeding of bantams went a different route to the prolific egg layers and the so called dual purpose breeds.
In the UK bantams were enthusiasts breeds and probably still are.
Bantams are quite difficult to keep if they are not penned. You'll probably remember that Tribe 2, the pro tree huggers were bantams. They're often too flighty and fast for the average keeper to deal with and none of the bantams I've known were that interested in being anyones pet.
I expect that is true here too. I know the D'Uccles were first introduced by enthusiasts ~& apart from Olivia aren't real keen on me. I'm told the Japs can be hard to breed but they are certainly ornamental the way they scoot across the lawn.

Yes, I have other chickens besides Olivia but few with so much personality & downright cheek!
All the girls know the feed is kept in the big blue bin & are generally underfoot when I go to fill the trays. Olivia, being tiny & privileged, decided she could beat the food frenzy by hopping in the tray once it was filled & hoeing down while being carried back to the shed on the tray. Several of the bigger girls, following Olivia's lead, have also tried this trick but they are too heavy & too flighty.
Yesterday Olivia decided she could go one better & simply hopped straight in the bin! 🙄 She was going for her life before I scooped her up & dumped her back where she belonged!​
20211120_092847.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I have other chickens besides Olivia but few with so much personality & downright cheek!
All the girls know the feed is kept in the big blue bin & are generally underfoot when I go to fill the trays. Olivia, being tiny & privileged, decided she could beat the food frenzy by hopping in the tray once it was filled & hoeing down while being carried back to the shed on the tray. Several of the bigger girls, following Olivia's lead, have also tried this trick but they are too heavy & too flighty.
Yesterday Olivia decided she could go one better & simply hopped straight in the bin! 🙄 She was going for her life before I scooped her up & dumped her back where she belonged!​
View attachment 2913270
She’s so lovely. Too smart by half! :love

Hmmmm are you saying there might be something wrong with her thinking? Or perhaps she was handled carefully as a chick and has high trust of humans? She might be been an incubated chick?
Dunno. She's been like this since the fowl pox. None of the others who where hospitalised with her became so friendly. She will abandon the tribe to spend time with me ~ or just look through the windows to check what I'm doing. Very odd.

Back
Top Bottom