Ribh's D'Coopage

I've been seriously thinking about it. I don't like giving up on a chicken but these 2 are getting to be real terrors. They are more dominant than anyone else & are starting to terrorise the tribes. For the present they are separated & caged. For all everyone says about breed generalisations I deliberately chose non dominant breeds/ calm personalities & I have had a calm friendly tribe. The Vorwerks are a mistake. They don't get along with anyone & are prone to bullying. They are getting worse & I don't know why. :idunno
It gives me no pleasure to say this at all. Especially because I thought they were pretty cool birds.

In my opinion it would be better for everyone if you move on from them. It is not admitting defeat. It is doing what's best for them and your tribe.

They are getting worse because there is no one there to keep them in line. Think Aurora and Hattie and the big fight. Aurora was a crazy lady leading up to that. Hattie had to put her in line for everyone's benefit. You don't have a Hattie right now.

This is only my opinion and I'm certain that Shadrach will weigh in when he catches up to this point with something more wise than what I am saying.

I also will admit that I would have a hard time moving on from them. I think I have proven that I am not great at subtraction. Of course if I knew that it would make my tribe more peaceful, it would be easier.

WEDNESDAY WHEREVER.😃
This will be my study space, mostly because the lad doesn't use this end of the house, the table is enormous & both the cats & the chickens spend a great deal of their time round here. There is a study but it is small, dark & gloomy & I can't keep tabs on anyone from there.
View attachment 2973711
That's a nice set up Ribh.
I notice that you have everything you need for studying within easy reach. Your laptop, a cuppa, a snack, a cat, crochet....😅

I've been seriously thinking about it. I don't like giving up on a chicken but these 2 are getting to be real terrors. They are more dominant than anyone else & are starting to terrorise the tribes. For the present they are separated & caged. For all everyone says about breed generalisations I deliberately chose non dominant breeds/ calm personalities & I have had a calm friendly tribe. The Vorwerks are a mistake. They don't get along with anyone & are prone to bullying. They are getting worse & I don't know why. :idunno
Bob has a good point but it's a hard thing to do. :hugs

Do you have any chicken friends locally that don't have a current flock or have a rooster, and are looking for a challenge? Would the breeder take them back?

I've managed to pretty much upset everyone this afternoon.
I have 2 Vorwerks in a cage.
Tsura wants to know what's happened to her hemp bale.
20220128_161802.jpg

This lot want to know what's happened to their nesting boxes...
Yes, that's part of a cat litter tray which I don't use for the cats but I thought would work as a nesting box.
Olivia is blaming Shuri for the changes. She is adamant Shuri is to get out of the shed & stay out! Shuri must be 5 times her size but she scuttles of in terror of Miss Mini Ferocious.​
20220128_161909.jpg

Soda is peeved because her afternoon nap was disturbed. :lol: I may deep litter now I have hemp down as a base rather than straw but this is the 1st time I've had enough good weather @ the right time to actually clean the girl's shed out. They'll be happy. They like when I clean.
20220128_161957.jpg
🤣

Bob has a good point but it's a hard thing to do. :hugs

Do you have any chicken friends locally that don't have a current flock or have a rooster, and are looking for a challenge? Would the breeder take them back?
No to all of the above ~ so it would be Gumtree & risk where they'd end up. Quite a few people round here have chickens & most are kept in appalling conditions ~ tiny coop, miniscule run, very limited free ranging. Next door only has a prefab but her 2 chickens self regulate & are out in their yard all day every day as are mine. :idunno They are my responsibility so we will see if we can adjust their attitude. :lol:

No to all of the above ~ so it would be Gumtree & risk where they'd end up. Quite a few people round here have chickens & most are kept in appalling conditions ~ tiny coop, miniscule run, very limited free ranging. Next door only has a prefab but her 2 chickens self regulate & are out in their yard all day every day as are mine. :idunno They are my responsibility so we will see if we can adjust their attitude. :lol:
Good luck with your chicken training Ribh.

By the by, you were right about the cockatoos being destructive. If we don't rush out to feed them they will tear at the flyscreens, pick up tiles and pots and drop them and knock things off tables. I will not deal with extortionists so I shoo them and tell them to go look for healthier food and come back with a better attitude.
When they knock politely on the window they get food. 😁

Good morning/evening everyone 😊😴

Sif is still hanging in there.
She is managing to get her legs under herself, which is huge , & this morning I caught her briefly standing. Her toes are still curling but she is moving around the yard somewhat.
My issues are with her sisters who have a wide mean streak. :he This morning Freya & Gefion had a right old ding~dong, hackles raised, jumping & chest bumping & snarling away @ each other. Then Freya had a go @ Olivia, who is a very bokky broodie.🙄 I've never really had meanness in the tribe so I'm not impressed as others are tending to follow their lead. I don't care how pretty they are there will be no more Vorwerks!​
View attachment 2974660
The broodie lot were up & about for a short while. Tsura headed straight for her hemp bale. Olivia thought about joining her. Chavi just seemed confused.​
View attachment 2974661
That's so good to hear how determined she is :hugs :hugs

I understand completely. Perhaps you will have to fill Hattie's role.

Back
Top Bottom