Ribh's D'Coopage

Just dropping by with more sad news - I know @Ribh you have a soft spot for my Roadrunners. Sadly Dotty died in my arms this afternoon.
Maybe I am not supposed to care for chickens. I feel like the Angel of Death right now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-26033910
:hugsI am so, so sorry. I do love your roadrunners. The weather does not seem to be helping this year. I've lost 2 quickly to some mystery illness. It never gets easier to lose one but unfortunately it is inevitable. May Dotty fly far & fast.:hugs

Just dropping by with more sad news - I know @Ribh you have a soft spot for my Roadrunners. Sadly Dotty died in my arms this afternoon.
Maybe I am not supposed to care for chickens. I feel like the Angel of Death right now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-26033910
Oh no! I'm so sorry RC. She was a feisty hen and will be missed by her friends.

I understand why you feel that way, but chooks are vulnerable to all sorts of health problems and with the strong predator protection you provided, most if not all of your losses will be to illness. It's not you. It's whatever bug or sickness got hold of her.

:hugs :hugs :hugs

Oh no! I'm so sorry RC. She was a feisty hen and will be missed by her friends.

I understand why you feel that way, but chooks are vulnerable to all sorts of health problems and with the strong predator protection you provided, most if not all of your losses will be to illness. It's not you. It's whatever bug or sickness got hold of her.

:hugs :hugs :hugs
Thank you MJ. I know it isn’t my fault. But that doesn’t stop me feeling like somehow I could have done better by them.
Weirdly I am now left hoping the lash egg was Dotty’s. If not, then I am worried for Diana or Maggie if it was theirs.
We also have another week of scorching temperatures and it takes its toll on all of us.

But that doesn’t stop me feeling like somehow I could have done better by them.
I understand why you feel that way, but it's not factually correct.
In a literal sense, you're probably the most accomplished chicken nurse I've met. Even under your care, Bella and Dotty died. They'd have died sooner and more painfully in my care.

Do any of you exercise regularly for the mental health benefits? I don't, but maybe I should.
Yes. The allotment chickens are part of it and the allotment itself. I walk a mile or so a day most days. A mile doesn't seem much until you do it almost evey day. It's very easy to slip into some very bad habits once retired. A bit of pressure is good for us I've read as is gardening and tackling new challenges.
I used to do a lot of physical exercise.

Back
Top Bottom