Ribh's D'Coopage

So if eight eggs = 4 girls you are at 20. Your question is should you do 2 or 3 types of eggs. If you do 9 eggs and three of each, even with @RebeccaBoyd rooster to hen ratios you should wind up with 1 girl of each type. Otherwise if you stick with eight I would do 3 Campine, 3 auracona, 2 Maran. I did love my Marans but they can be bigger ladies compared to the rest of your group.

So if eight eggs = 4 girls you are at 20. Your question is should you do 2 or 3 types of eggs. If you do 9 eggs and three of each, even with @RebeccaBoyd rooster to hen ratios you should wind up with 1 girl of each type. Otherwise if you stick with eight I would do 3 Campine, 3 auracona, 2 Maran. I did love my Marans but they can be bigger ladies compared to the rest of your group.
Less the number of eggs than the breed. I'd love to try for some seabrights in preference but I already have lots of poor layers. I think Seabrights are gorgeous & if I can find a breeder I'd get those in preference.

White Chicken + Green Grass + Red Tomato = great photo.

20220815_182912.jpg
20220815_182913.jpg
20220815_182915.jpg

I've been missing the White Chicken part of the equation. Not anymore! 😁

Less the number of eggs than the breed. I'd love to try for some seabrights in preference but I already have lots of poor layers. I think Seabrights are gorgeous & if I can find a breeder I'd get those in preference.
I like Sebrights too. They're gorgeous little chooks.

There are lots of ways it could go with eight, or nine eggs. It is possible although not likely you end up with six roosters and three hens out of nine.
What do you do then?
You could also find that the hatch rate is low.
Would you spread the eggs between more than one broody?
Some of those Marans hens are big. Think Fat Bird being middle weight.

Back
Top Bottom