Ribh's D'Coopage

I’m so glad Australia has strict quarantine laws and we are rabies-free! Our bats do carry the lyssavirus though, which apparently is similar.
I'm grateful we're rabies free too. It's worth the expense. Especially when you consider how unique the wildlife are.

Do your bats use the bat house? I am thinking of getting one. I had to take down a diseased tree but we left the trunk about 25 feet high and I was thinking it would be a great place to mount a bat house.
Yeah - the poor little guy in the bedroom was exhausted flying around escaping the cats. Eventually he hung from the curtain rod and went to sleep - which I must say was quite cute.
I managed to get the cats locked out and I opened the upper part of all the windows and turned out the lights, shut the door and went to sleep on the sofa. It found its own way out.
The one that was found dead on the living room floor eventually tested negative for rabies, but the test takes too long to wait if you have been exposed so we got the shots anyway.
Bats are good at eating up mosquitoes - so I like having them around. I just don't really know how they got in the house.
I can't say that I have ever seen bats using the bat house, but I know they use our house because we see their droppings under an opening where the wood siding meets the log walls. (The upper level of our house is framed, lower level is log). We try to dissuade them from this, but as long as they stay out of our actual house, we don't worry too much.
More bat tax:
IMG_20221019_131827660_HDR.jpg

Yes, I once had a cat that refused to drink from still water.
Some cats can also be peculiar about the bowl in which they drink, either the material (my male cat Grochatila prefers metal) or the form (he also prefers thin high bowl to flat low ones). If you haven't tried it yet it could be worth switching to a different type of bowl, before getting the fountain thing.

Not to switch subjects but Grochatila just ate a bat 🙄. Anyone knows if I should be worried since he's not vaccinated ?
He should be vaccinated if he's outside. Rabies is real. If he is eating bats he is eating mice as well.

We have a couple of water bowls but recently switched one out. That may have been his favorite. I will switch it back.

Well, Internet says bats here carry a european type of Lyssavirus that spreads only exceptionally to cats, three known cases in France since it has been monitored in 2000.
We also get bats in our bedroom if we leave our windows open in summer at night, they're attracted with the light of the e-readers. They usually find their way out when we take all lights out.

Absolutely, Grochatila must be vaccinated! He got the first shot when he was neutered but he was so angry we didn't manage to catch him for the second shot, and we let it drop. But now he's much more cooperative. He eats a lot of mice. That's what we got them for. Athough the cats have free access to kibbles they only eat a good half of the recommended dose 😁. Who knows what else those free rangers eat ?

I don't know how Mrs Bybob can be upset with Enzo, he is so cute 🥰 !!! A kitten that doesn't get into mischief isn't a kitten.

Back
Top Bottom