Ribh's D'Coopage

I let the girls out a couple of mornings ago, checking, as I always do, that everyone is out & headed for the food & water. Everything seemed good. It was only later I noticed one of my Vorwerks was down. Both eyes were glued shut, her face was swollen & gunk was streaming from her mouth & nostrils. Respiratory stuff is not something I've had to deal with before but I have dosed her up with antibiotics & vitamins, an anti-inflammatory & some cream for her poor little face. She seems heaps more comfortable & her nose has stopped running but I am not overly hopeful. The tips of her comb are turning black & she's stopped eating. She's not drinking on her own either but I have been syringing water into her.
View attachment 3413422
This side is coming good. Most of the swelling has gone down.
Thankfully no~one else is sick! 😟

View attachment 3413425
Poor girl; do you have any idea what it might be?

I let the girls out a couple of mornings ago, checking, as I always do, that everyone is out & headed for the food & water. Everything seemed good. It was only later I noticed one of my Vorwerks was down. Both eyes were glued shut, her face was swollen & gunk was streaming from her mouth & nostrils. Respiratory stuff is not something I've had to deal with before but I have dosed her up with antibiotics & vitamins, an anti-inflammatory & some cream for her poor little face. She seems heaps more comfortable & her nose has stopped running but I am not overly hopeful. The tips of her comb are turning black & she's stopped eating. She's not drinking on her own either but I have been syringing water into her.
View attachment 3413422

View attachment 3413425
Poor girl! :(

View attachment 3413422

View attachment 3413425
Poor girl. That looks like Mycoplasma. It can be managed but not cured by some antibiotics. @BY Bob will know the right ones but my understanding is not penicillins but Tylosin or tetracyclines can work. It is all to do with the mechanism of action.

Poor girl. That looks like Mycoplasma. It can be managed but not cured by some antibiotics. @BY Bob will know the right ones but my understanding is not penicillins but Tylosin or tetracyclines can work. It is all to do with the mechanism of action.
Thanks, RC. I lost her overnight. Not surprised. She'd pretty much given up yesterday though I continued to treat her & make her as comfortable as possible.

Poor girl; do you have any idea what it might be?
No, @Perris. No idea. I've had a few different things here I've not seen before. Not sure why that would be other than different wild birds & more of those that are pests. RC has suggested Mycoplasma. Irrelevant now. She passed last night. I'll keep an eye on everyone else but no~one else seems to be affected.

No, @Perris. No idea. I've had a few different things here I've not seen before. Not sure why that would be other than different wild birds & more of those that are pests. RC has suggested Mycoplasma. Irrelevant now. She passed last night. I'll keep an eye on everyone else but no~one else seems to be affected.
:hugs I'm so sorry for your loss. I guess there may be quite a few new health challenges for any birds that move locations, and it's pot luck whether they can overcome whatever strain of whatever bug they encounter. Hopefully the rest have got better natural immunity to it.

:hugs I'm so sorry for your loss. I guess there may be quite a few new health challenges for any birds that move locations, and it's pot luck whether they can overcome whatever strain of whatever bug they encounter. Hopefully the rest have got better natural immunity to it.
That has been my thought too. I have a Campine, a Favorelle X, an Aracauna & Jap bantams & Wyandottes who all seem to be doing really well. I don't think the Vorwerks are a hardy breed. I've had trouble with all of the ones I've had & the one left gets the wobbles every now & then. Not a breed I will ever have again!

Back
Top Bottom