Rice For Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ashleylancaster, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ashleylancaster

ashleylancaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    ALABAMA
    OK THIS MAY SEEM LIKE A COMMON SENSE QUESTION BUT IM ASKING IT ANYWAY. IVE SEEN MANY PEOPLE POSTING THAT U CAN FEED UR CHICKENS RICE BUT THEY NEVER SAY IF UR SUPPOST TO COOK IT FIRST OR JUST GIVE IT AS UNCOOKED RICE.SO IS IT OK TO GIVE RICE AND IF SO DO U GIVE IT COOKED OR UNCOOKED?[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they found rice in the wild, they wouldn't take time to cook it first.[​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You can give it to them any way you want. It really does not matter and no, it does not explode LOL! I've given raw and cooked rice to the chickens and they loved it. Had no issues with rice being absorbed by them.

In the winter, its really nice to give them warm rice or oatmeal before they go to bed. Keeps them warmer.

4. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Cooked, for sure cooked. I know you can't feed wild birds uncooked rice because it swells when they drink hater and can kill the birds. My guess is that it would do the same to your chickies. I always cook grains before giving it to the flock.

5. ashleylancaster

ashleylancaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    ALABAMA
    Thanks! Like I Said Common Sense!lol:) Really Like The First Post. Funny! Thanks Again.

6. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    When we have brown rice....I cook extra for the Chickens. They love it. AND I do cooked brown rice and cooked oatmeal in the Winter for them just before bedtime. They love it.
    Regards, Aria

7. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    "Cooked, for sure cooked. I know you can't feed wild birds uncooked rice because it swells when they drink hater and can kill the birds. My guess is that it would do the same to your chickies. I always cook grains before giving it to the flock"

Entirely an urban myth. There are no problems with giving uncooked rice. If there were, millions of blackbirds would die each year when they eat uncooked rice.

Clint

8. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    my mom gives it to them cooked

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    cooked rice is my flocks favorite goodie by far.. they just love it.. I dont feed them raw.. not worth the risk.. maybe ok for myth busters but Im not going to risk my girls..

good luck )O(
    Pink

10. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    Quote:Lol! I bet they love that. Good idea! Sometimes, on very cold saturday mornings I sneak out the still warm waffles or pancakes to the girls. [​IMG]

Edited to add: On the expanding rice thing, it really is a myth. Unless your chickens are eating ENORMOUS quantities of uncooked rice, they just might feel a little uncomfortable IF it even expands that much. It's like when you feed horses beet pulp: it comes in dry pellets and you're supposed to soak them in water overnight "or your horse's stomach will explode". You can actually feed your horse several handfulls of beet pulp pellets and he'll be fine.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by