RIP Big Maude :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Robin'sBrood, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Cornish Rock from TSC

[​IMG]

3/17/09 - 6/20/10... She was such a sweet girl... we're going to miss her. [​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Oh, I'm so sorry - I remember you talking of her..... she was so pretty. [​IMG]

3. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank you. I think the heat and humidity was too much for her yesterday. We've had temps in the mid to upper 90s for several days, and no end in sight for at least the next 7 days. [​IMG] She was probably suffering from the nasty humidity... no escape from it, even in the shade where she died.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This heat has been brutal, Robin. She lived a good long life for a CornishX girl, though, due to your excellent care.

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks, Cynthia. She made it to 15 months, which is sure better than the lifespan of most meaties, that's for sure. I have two eggs from her... if I had a broody I would try to hatch them. [​IMG]

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Perhaps you can find someone with one... I have known of people who hatched eggs in a heating pad.......

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  7. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    I remeber reading about her too. Sorry for your loss she was such a cutie....

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a beutiful bird! Sorry you lost her.

9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I can't believe it... one of my d'Uccles went broody today!!!!! Guess whose eggs she is sitting on. [​IMG]

10. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    That's sweet. We were only able to keep Marilyn alive for 9 months [​IMG] She got too heavy and was slowly dying. We didn't know she was a meatie and fed lots of corn treats as a youngen. Maude was a beaut though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by