RIP Chickpea

Cali Chickens

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2020
Our first predator attack happened today. We live in a pretty rural area, and we've seen foxes and skunks and our neighbors have told us about bears in the area, but I guess we got lulled into a false sense of security with nothing bad happening to our semi free-range girls. But today they were chased around the house by something(we think a fox) and when we ran outside, Chickpea, our Jubilee Orpington, was missing from the scattered flock. We found a bunch of her feathers a little ways from the house with no other sign of her. I feel so guilty for not being more worried about their safety. She was only a year and a few months. rip Chickpea
808BD353-81B8-4D28-B3F9-14E284BAEEBB_1_105_c.jpeg

0F876F71-15B2-4A8C-B07E-129FF536DFCE_1_105_c.jpeg

Attachments

• 808BD353-81B8-4D28-B3F9-14E284BAEEBB_1_105_c.jpeg
    808BD353-81B8-4D28-B3F9-14E284BAEEBB_1_105_c.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 2
Our first predator attack happened today. We live in a pretty rural area, and we've seen foxes and skunks and our neighbors have told us about bears in the area, but I guess we got lulled into a false sense of security with nothing bad happening to our semi free-range girls. But today they were chased around the house by something(we think a fox) and when we ran outside, Chickpea, our Jubilee Orpington, was missing from the scattered flock. We found a bunch of her feathers a little ways from the house with no other sign of her. I feel so guilty for not being more worried about their safety. She was only a year and a few months. rip Chickpea View attachment 2777915
View attachment 2777910
Keep looking for her, sometimes they show up. Loss is just something thats quite often when free ranging unfortunately.

It does however mean that hopefully you can better protect your flock. Sorry about your hen, she sounded like a great bird... ☹️

She was beautiful. Im very sorry. As @T P S said, it is Possible she is hiding and will try to return this eve near dusk. But the scene you describe sounds like a fox. Now that it has found your chickens, it will keep returning hoping to get more. It only takes a fox a few seconds to snatch, grab and run away with a chicken, so do be wary.

it is Possible she is hiding and will try to return this eve near dusk
Somehow, I found her again, still alive! I was walking around and followed a trail of feathers to what I thought was where the fox had gone, but was actually where she was hiding! I don't think she has any injuries, no blood, but she was (and still is) shaken and not moving around. I brought her inside and put her in a box to warm up (it's around 55 f where I am). Is there anything else I can do to help her? I'm planning on returning her to the coop and her sisters in a few hours for the night.

Somehow, I found her again, still alive! I was walking around and followed a trail of feathers to what I thought was where the fox had gone, but was actually where she was hiding! I don't think she has any injuries, no blood, but she was (and still is) shaken and not moving around. I brought her inside and put her in a box to warm up (it's around 55 f where I am). Is there anything else I can do to help her? I'm planning on returning her to the coop and her sisters in a few hours for the night.
So glad you found her! 🥰

So happy you found her!! Since you did, may have been a raptor attack not a fox. Possibly a juvenile since she escaped. (Not sure she could have sucessfully hid from a fox of any age, but a raptor, yes.)

How is she this morning? You mentioned she wasnt moving around much. I would check her very carefully for any puncture wounds. Puncture wounds are small and dont bleed much, but can be very deep. Part her feathers and examine every inch to make sure she wasnt injured.

Back
Top Bottom