RIP Curiosity Duck, June 2018 - January 13th 2021 [Warning! Contains Graphic Images!]

Thank you very much everyone for your comforting words! Her death stings a lot, especially because she was one of the very first ducks we got in Summer 2018. Now only Limpy, Nona and Katharina are left from that group and Nona is still not out of the woods, she was shivering outside this morning. - Spring can't come fast enough this year!
As for the bald spot on her back, it is difficult to see, but most of the missing feathers have not been pulled out (like a drake would do), but they were broken off, right above and in the skin. Which looks doggy suspicious to me, there were no scratches or bite-marks though.
As for her vent area, i have not seen a prolapse before, but there was a clear slimy liquid dripping out of her which looked like decaying egg-white and smelled horrible.

@WannaBeHillBilly when I was examining your photos I noticed this on the left side. Was this a wound or was this the prolapse from a back view? So sorry for the loss of your sweet Curiosity duck. I have been following Nona’s recovery since the dog attack and I am sending her some well wishes. I’m not sure on a possible cause of death but I offer my condolences. :hugs :(

Attachments

• 4A73AA13-5900-4FCB-9ED8-27666C4BB9B9.jpeg
    4A73AA13-5900-4FCB-9ED8-27666C4BB9B9.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 7
@WannaBeHillBilly when I was examining your photos I noticed this on the left side. Was this a wound or was this the prolapse from a back view? So sorry for the loss of your sweet Curiosity duck. I have been following Nona’s recovery since the dog attack and I am sending her some well wishes. I’m not sure on a possible cause of death but I offer my condolences. :hugs :(
You must have some Eagle or Falcon in your genes! - Looking at the original images (4K-resolution that will be resized when uploaded here) it in fact looks like a wound:
1610773913913.png

And there is a similar spot with wet feathers on the other side of her body:
1610773964613.png

That damn dog! He must grabbed her first at her rump and she escaped but a suffered fatal internal injury.
I could kick my @SS for not checking on everybody after! But i was so concerned about Nona Duck. 😣
Lesson learned: Check all your birds after an attack! ⚠☝

You must have some Eagle or Falcon in your genes! - Looking at the original images (4K-resolution that will be resized when uploaded here) it in fact looks like a wound:
View attachment 2491482
And there is a similar spot with wet feathers on the other side of her body:
View attachment 2491484
That damn dog! He must grabbed her first at her rump and she escaped but a suffered fatal internal injury.
I could kick my @SS for not checking on everybody after! But i was so concerned about Nona Duck. 😣
Lesson learned: Check all your birds after an attack! ⚠☝
I learned that lesson the hard way as well with some predator attacks. Last year I had a hawk attack on my call duck Splash who I found with his eye severely pecked and a chest injury and I was so busy caring for him that I didn’t first notice that call duck Squeak had a bill injury and an injury on his back. Luckily little Squeak’s injuries weren’t that bad and he has since recovered but I felt terrible for not noticing them at first. Ever since it has definitely payed off. A couple of weeks ago a predator (assuming a dog or raccoon) killed Bear, my poor pekin duck, I checked everyone else and they looked fine but upon further examination the next day I found a quarter sized hole in her sister’s chest. She thankfully recovered but might not have if I didn’t notice. I now only do supervised free-ranging.

I thought that it looked like a wound. So sorry Hillbilly. It is so upsetting the troubles you’ve had with the neighbors and their dog. I really hope that Nona duck can continue to improve and make a full recovery. :D

Maybe @Isaac 0 would have an idea on a cause of death.

Back
Top Bottom