RIP Lucy

View attachment 1888882 I’m devastated Lucy died this morning she was lying down and breathing with her beak open. I rushed to the vet but she died there... I never thought I’d be so attached to a chicken! I cried so much at the vet and all the way home

I’m so very sorry for your loss and you’re not alone. My chickens are my precious babies and it is so hard because they can be so fragile. I know exactly how you feel and I send my deepest condolences on losing your sweet Lucy :hit.

I’m so very sorry for your loss and you’re not alone. My chickens are my precious babies and it is so hard because they can be so fragile. I know exactly how you feel and I send my deepest condolences on losing your sweet Lucy :hit.
I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs Go easy on yourself because there is a very good chance that even if you had taken her to the vet earlier that they would not have been able to help her. :hugs

Thanks so much for your kind words. I just can't get the image out of my head of her last moments :-( Now to concentrate on our 3 healthy happy chickens. They certainly don't enjoy cuddles as much but we will work on them! They seem strangely happy now that Lucy has gone...

I'm still baffled by her sudden deterioration.
This was her about 32 hrs before she died... 69360059_406713540037024_8607808459179556864_n.jpg

I'm still baffled by her sudden deterioration.
This was her about 32 hrs before she died...View attachment 1891951
Hi @kattfink i’m sorry to hear of the passing of Lucy. Its so sad isn’t it. Please don’t feel guilty, we have all been there. I forgot to properly lock the gare and our dog got to our hens, he chewed the neck of our favourite and she was still alive. I will never forget it. They are sad thoughts to remember but we get through them by thinking of the happy thoughts. We had to put her to sleep ourselves which was really hard on my husband, but it had to be done. We felt “death” over that day. It was a horrible weekend. The fresh week started though and we got there. We have now adopted and bought 4 new hens and they make my day. We will never forget Raven, but we are also loving our new babies to look after (and I haven’t forgotten to check the gate is properly closed). Big hugs

Raven was a terrible escape artist so i think if I hadn’t forgotten the gate, she would have got out somehow anyway and either got run over or the dog attacking her anyway!
She would sit by out kitchen window and squark for food. I had worked hard to get her to trust me, she became quite friendly in her last days.

Hi @kattfink i’m sorry to hear of the passing of Lucy. Its so sad isn’t it. Please don’t feel guilty, we have all been there. I forgot to properly lock the gare and our dog got to our hens, he chewed the neck of our favourite and she was still alive. I will never forget it. They are sad thoughts to remember but we get through them by thinking of the happy thoughts. We had to put her to sleep ourselves which was really hard on my husband, but it had to be done. We felt “death” over that day. It was a horrible weekend. The fresh week started though and we got there. We have now adopted and bought 4 new hens and they make my day. We will never forget Raven, but we are also loving our new babies to look after (and I haven’t forgotten to check the gate is properly closed). Big hugs

Thanks so much <3
My kids are already talking about getting some chicks- my daughter has a friend with 50+ chickens and constant supply of fertilised eggs. He offered her an incubater and eggs. They are so excited about rearing their own chicks from the start. BUT I'm terrified something will go wrong, or the other 3 hens will not accept them. At least I have separated the coop so it can be shut off. He has Wyandottes, Australorps, Leghorns & Isa Browns.

Would I be crazy to do this?

Hi @kattfink, I’m so sorry to hear about your lovely Lucy. My oldest girl is Lucy too and I will be devastated when she goes. I have had chickens for not quite two years and already I’ve lost three. The most recent was my nine month-old Barred Rock Bessie and I cried for days. They’re not just chooks, they’re family members and their loss is painful. You are still learning, be kind to yourself and learn from your experiences so you build your knowledge and skill set. I wish I could have done more for Bessie, but there wasn’t really any more I could do. It didn’t stop me wishing though. Take care. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom