RIP Oven

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by sune42, Jun 23, 2010.

1. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    While making pizza for lunch my oven decided it was time to go. It was an old oven, and sickly, so we were not really surprised. Now it's suffering is over and it can rest.

In all seriousness, the oven died and it was super old but we were hoping it would last just a little bit longer. However, it didn't so now we need a new one. Opinions or Suggestions on types, brands ect? I don't want to spend a grand on a stove,and I would like it to be black to match the other stuff. It's electric, I do a lot of baking and I am learning canning.

TIA
    Amanda

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Hard to tell, can't see your oven from here.

Most are fairly easy to fix. Gas or electric stove?

Element(s) being the leading cause of oven failure, they run from
    the high $20's to $70 or so each. Five minutes to install. Other than
    that, it might be cheaper to replace the entire stove.

Call around, look for your local scratch and dent appliance store?

3. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Yea, I know about the element cause we had to fix that in my mom's oven. On mine the internal elements and the stove top elements are all not working. I will see if we have a scratch and dent around here, thanks.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I love my Kenmore brand stove. Most stores have good stoves, some are better than others.

If you have cast iron skillets, do NOT go for glass top, they will scratch it unless you are extra careful about sliding or moving the iron skillets around.

I love my electric stove with self clean. I will NOT go for gas even it is quick but a real fire hazard at best. Not suitable if you have kids that likes to play with fire.

My oven is over two years old and just recently replaced the element, I used it so much that I shorted the life of the element LOL. Cost us $70 from the mom and pop appliance store near us.

My oven I had before this one, I had it over 15 years, had one time element replaced and the electronic headboaard popped and quit.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have a pretty new GE that is great! The hidden elements make cleaning MUCH easier. If I were doing it over, though I would probably change to the model that has two ovens rather than one.

6. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:i hear that the GEs are pretty good :3
    and im so sorry about your Oven, poor thing had the will [​IMG]

7. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I got a Fridgedaire Gallery glass top. It had everything I wanted. cost me $849.

just a thought look at the close out specials and see what floor models the different places might have on sale. i had found a stove similar to my new one for $550. I would have gotten it but I just did not like it.

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I really like the glass top ones. So much easier to keep clean!

Mine's a Kenmore, but it came with the house, so I didn't have a say in choosing it, but it works a lot better than the old model in the old house, so I'm happy with it.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I wish mine would die. It's so basic and so old, it doesn't even have a light in it. It was here when we bought the house, as was the fridge. Die, oven, die!

I cant do glass top at all, but I wish they still made the solid element electric ones. Honestly, I'd rather have gas, but we're all electric. Ick. No real chef uses electric!

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Oh No!! And I thought "Oven" was a name for your chicken!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by