RIP Ratsnake - I gave you a chance.

Mthorn2

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2016
#feelingguiltypost Month ago I noticed the chickens acting different and not wanting to go into the coop. I ended up finding a 5' rat snake hanging out in the coop rafters. I pulled him out of the coop and dropped him off 10 acres eastward. Three weeks ago I found another rat snake, about the same size, in the chicken run near the waterer. I was suspect that it was the same snake but no way to be sure...I painted this ones tail with pink nail polish and drove to the far end of our property +/-1/4 mile northward (long ways away for a snake). Yesterday I opened the egg box and there lies a rat snake (scared the crap out of me because I wasn't expecting it) and sure enough it had my wife's nail polish on its tail.

How in the world did a snake travel that far in 2 weeks? Sadly this time I permanently got rid of him. I didn't want to do it but he was eating eggs. RIP Mr. Persistent.

Greetings from Kansas, Mthorn2, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard. I know some might give you a hard time for dispatching the snake, but you gave it two more chances than most people would have!

Back
Top Bottom