RIR - 13 weeks - Time to accept I got roosters!!??

Barred4Life

Songster
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
I had my doubts at first because I do not know much of the RIR, but all signs points to roosters. These are my 2 RIR, they are 13 weeks old. They both have rosecomb, they have those wet looking feathers growing in now, they have started growing green tailfeathers. They are the first ones to run out the coop (fearless little buggers), they poof up their neck and do the stand off like rooster...everything is pointing to rooster. Since I don't know anything about the RIR I thought I'd ask just to make sure. What do you guys think?
1# This one has less green in the tail...

Here's the same bird but side view:

2# Look at the pointy hackle feathers
sad.png
This one is really pretty thought...so might have to keep one from ending up in the freezer! Doesn't this one look like it would grown into a majestic looking rooster?!

They both look like cockerels. On #1 you can see sickle, saddle, and hackle feathers coming in, they aren't as pronounced and shiny as #2's are but in time they will be. They both have the same sized and same colored comb, that also leads me to believe that both are male.

So I've gotten feedback to say that 1# might be pullet. But each time the two of them have a face off (poofing up feathers beck to beck) 1# wins...the one looking more like a cockerel backs off. Now it might just be respect for the pullet? Or it might be that 1# roo is top in the pecking order?
They are equal in size...would that mean they are same gender? If I compare to my Barred Rocks, my roos are (at 13 weeks) bigger then my hens. For RIR do you see a difference in size at that age?
Ohhhh I love chicken!

Back
Top Bottom